Since our founding in 1944, the museum and staff have worked to curate the largest collection of its kind in the world. Today, our mission is to be the leader in protecting and interpreting North America’s transportation heritage.
Since our founding in 1944, the museum and staff have worked to curate the largest collection of its kind in the world. Today, our mission is to be the leader in protecting and interpreting North America’s transportation heritage.
BROWSE THE ENTIRE TRANSPORTATION COLLECTION (Note: Much of our collection is readily viewable on our grounds; some is in storage or maintenance and thus not. Call ahead if you are visiting for a particular artifact to verify it is on display.)
This carriage auto originally cost $900 new and was powered by a one-cylinder, 7-hp engine; displacement 123; 66 inch wheelbase; built in St. Louis, Missouri; donated in 1966 by William T. Dooley Jr.
The St. Louis Motor Carriage Company was the first successful automobile business west of the Mississippi River. A manufacturer of automobiles at 1211–13 North Vandeventer Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri, it was founded by George Preston Dorris (later credited with developing and patenting the float-carburetor) and John French in 1898. French took charge of marketing with Dorris heading engineering and production. The firm built 680 vehicles in its St. Louis plant from 1899 to 1905. French left to build vehicles in Peoria, Illinois, while George Dorris stayed behind in St. Louis and founded the Dorris Motor Car Company in 1906. St. Louis Motor Carriage was the first of many St. Louis automakers and produced automobiles from 1899 to 1907.
The Bobby Darin “Dream Car” is a one-of-a-kind custom car designed by Detroit clothing designer Andy Di Dia in 1953 and completed in 1960. Mr. Di Dia apparently did not care for the design of automobiles in the early 1950’s. The Di Dia 150 was hand-built by four workers in Detroit, Michigan between 1953 and 1960 at a cost of over $93,000 dollars.
The original Cadillac V8 engine was replaced by a Ford 427/365 hp V8 engine. The body and chassis are hand-formed in aluminum with an aluminum alloy welded tube frame. The car has hidden windshield wipers, retracting headlights, swiveling turn signals, and doors that opened with a push on a panel outside of the car (there are no door handles) and a trunk that was hinged from the driver’s side. The Dream Car was also equipped with the first backseat-mounted radio speakers. The interior is rust-colored to contrast with the ruby colored exterior. The car has 30 coats of paint with ground industrial diamond dust to add sparkle.
Bobby Darin, a well-known singer, purchased the car from Mr. Di Dia, and as a result, it became forever known as Bobby Darin’s Dream Car.
A total of 55 Turbine cars were built by Chrysler Corporation. The body of the car was handmade by Ghia, an Italian Design Studio, and then shipped to the United States where the engine was installed. Five cars were built in 1962 as prototypes used for troubleshooting, and each was slightly different from the others. A total of 50 identical turbine cars were built between October 1963 and October 1964. They were all two-door hardtop coupes with power brakes and power steering. All were painted identically with a color known as “Turbine Bronze."
The engine that powered the turbine car could operate on many different fuels, required less maintenance and lasted longer than the piston engine.
In 1952, Ford Motor Co. began a test program to explore the use of gas turbine engines for automobiles and trucks. An improved version of the gas turbine engine was tested in a tilt-cab truck tractor with a 300-horsepower, 704-cubic-inch-displacement engine--this 1959 CT-1100 was the first vehicle used to test it. The main advantages of the turbine engine were low noise, emissions, oil consumption, and vibration; easy cold-weather starting; extended overhaul life; high torque at low speeds; and instantaneous full-power capability. High fuel consumption at idle and costly manufacturing materials needed because of their high operating speeds and temperatures prevented successful turbine use in cars or trucks. Ford gave up development in 1973. This truck tractor was donated by Ford in 1971.
Steam Car - Similar to an 8-cylinder internal combustion engine
Stanley Motor Carriage Co.
Stanley steam cars utilized an external combustion engine where the fuel source is consumed external to the engine. A steam boiler generates great quantities of power for later use, unlike an internal combustion engine that must develop the needed power on demand. Kerosene was used to light the pilot and main burner of the external engine as it provided more heat energy than gasoline. Kerosene was also less expensive and safer. It would take at least 20 minutes to start a Stanley Steamer. Fuel consumption was approximately one gallon of water per 10 to 12 miles.
Stanley Steamer was an alternate fuel vehicle in 1923. At the turn of the 19th century steam-powered automobiles were more prevalent than those with internal combustion engines. A steam boiler with a diameter 23" produced the steam that powered the vehicle. The boiler's nominal operating steam pressure is 600 pounds. They ran on any combustible material and water, produced large amounts of torque, were quiet and light, had few parts and did not require gears. Identical twin brothers Freelan and Francis Stanley used the money they made from developing the airbrush and selling their dry photographic plate process to Eastman Kodak to create the Stanley Motor Carriage Company. Over 11,000 Stanleys were built from 1900 to 1934 when the production was closed. The Stanley Steamer on display at TNMOT is a 740B touring car. It was built in Newton, MA and the price when new was $2,750. It was donated to the museum by Richard, Bob, and Bill Abbott.
Pierce Motorcycle Co. (Parent company was Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Co.)
The Pierce 4 was the first 4-cylinder motorcycle produced in the United States. It has a T-head, inline-4 with compression release 708cc engine with a two-speed transmission and could attain a speed of 60 mph. The frame of the Pierce has very large diameter partitioned integrated tubing for gasoline and oil.
In 1961, Ford General Manager Lee Iacocca aimed to sell a sports car with four seats, low weight, and a price tag under $2,500. In 1964, Iacocca's vision became a success with the introduction of the Ford Mustang. After selling more than 22,000 Mustangs on the first official sale date, Ford proved that it could manufacture an affordable sports car that the average American family could enjoy. It sports a 200 cubic inch, inline 6 cylinder engine; 108 inch wheelbase. Built in Dearborn, MI; price new $2,372. Donated by Carol E. William in 2001. The new car was introduced to the public on April 17, 1964 at the New York World's Fair.
This 1964 1/2 Mustang holds a coveted spot in American muscle car history, as it was the first generation of Ford Mustangs to be produced. Mustangs remain a "classic" American car to this day.
The Chrysler New Yorker 4 door station wagon was introduced in January 1951. Chrysler produced only a total of 251 units of this model.
The New Yorker was powered by a 331 cubic inch (5.4 liter) 180 hp Hemi V-8 engine called the “Firepower” engine. It was also equipped with power steering which was an industry first. The New Yorker also had fold down rear seats to provide more cargo space.
Statistically, the New Yorker was 213.25 inches in length, 75.125 inches in width, and had a 131.5-inch wheelbase. Its top speed was approximately 98 mph, and fuel consumption was 10.9 mpg; built in Detroit MI.
The original manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the New Yorker Wagon was $4026.00.
Donated by Celia Scudder in 1980.
Built in St. Louis by the Traffic Motor Truck Corporation, which lasted from 1918 to 1929. Their trucks were the lowest price for their impressive 4000-pound capacity. 22.5 horsepower gave it a top speed of 12 miles per hour. It features solid wheels and an early version of power steering.
Four-cylinder Continental engine; 133 inch wheelbase; price new $1,495. Originally owned by Conklin Reuling Lumber, this truck was donated to the Museum by H. A. Reuling's grandson, Tim G. Soldwedel in 1982.
The William Galloway Company of Waterloo, Iowa, had been a farm implement dealership and mail-order supplier of small farming equipment and tools before it introduced its line of trucks in 1908. The Galloway GT was marketed as a dual-purpose vehicle, "drive to church on Sunday and be put back to work on Monday." This unrestored truck features a two-cylinder, chain-driven, water-cooled engine. Research reveals it to be the oldest surviving delivery truck used in the city of St. Louis and one of fewer than ten Galloways to survive.
Engine Type: 2 cylinder
Displacement: 142 Cubic inches
Price New: $570.00
Donated to the Museum in 1972 by William Abbott.
Introduced in 1908, the Model T offered simplicity, reliability, and respectable performance in an affordable package. When Henry Ford added the moving assembly line to Model T production, the result was a car that not only became cheaper to buy every year but one that dominated world-wide automobile production for almost two decades. By 1922, over one million "Flivvers" were being sold annually. Its aging design led to the replacement of the Model T with the Model A for the 1928 model year. The Model T had a front mounted 177 cubic inch inline four-cylinder engine producing 20 hp for a top speed of 40-45 mph. The cost of a 1915 Model T was approximately $390 dollars.
Henry Ford’s approach to the Model T design was one of getting it right and never changing. He believed the Model T was all the car a person would ever need. However, there were design changes. For example, in 1915 the hood design retained the five-sided design but louvers were added to the vertical sides, and electric headlights replaced carbide headlights.
Specifications: 4-cylinder engine; 176.7 cubic inch displacement; 20 horsepower; 100 inch wheelbase; built in Highland Park MI; donated in 1969 by Preston Estep.
The Dorris Motor Car Company in St. Louis MO introduced its first car in 1906 and became known for advanced technology, sturdiness, and restrained elegance. This 1919 Dorris began life as a 6-80 touring car but was converted to a panel truck and used for years by the Debrecht market and grocery in St. Louis.
Six-cylinder engine; 377 cubic inch displacement; 80 horsepower; 132 inch wheelbase. Price new $5,400. Acquired by Museum in 1983 from donor Edward Walsh.
Steam Kit Car by A. L. Dyke Company. Donated in 2010 by the Means family. Richard E. Means discovered this Dyke steam-powered car unassembled in a barn in the late 1950s after his previous Stanley Steamer exploded. It was sold in kit form from 1901-1904. The challenge of putting the vehicle together without instructions became the ultimate puzzle. Mr. Means soon realized that not all the pieces were included with his rare find and he had to improvise with other parts.
Established in St.Louis MO in 1899 by A. L. Dyke (Andrew Lee Dyke), Dyke was the first American auto parts distributor. Dyke also sold early autos, kit car or assembled. In addition to the Dyke name, the company also sold automobiles under the St. Louis Motor Company and Dyke-Britton names.
Fire Bug was a a car-sized fire truck. First used by the Los Angeles Fire Department, it was later driven by the zany Banana Splits characters in a TV show, "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour."
The original plan was for this creation, the Fire Bug, to be a promotional or parade rig for the Los Angeles City Fire Department during Fire Prevention Week and such, even though it lacks the departmental markings you might expect. It was a 1969 collaboration between George Barris and his partner-of-the-moment, Dick Dean. Mechanically, it's a chopped-pan VolkswagenÂ Microbus, oddly fitted with dual rear wheels.
The Yellow Truck and Coach of GM built this parlor coach as the ultimate in highway travel. The exterior appearance is that of a conventional Z-250 model passenger bus; however, this proto RV offers all the comforts of home with air conditioning, Pullman berths, a kitchen telephone, and lavatory including a shower. It was typically operated by a crew of three.
The bus designed initially used by the president of Buick Motor Division. It was later purchased by Anheuser-Busch of Saint Louis, Missouri, where it provided August A. Busch Jr. first class transportation o numerous trips across the country (1941-1946). Inline 6-cylinder, 616 cid, 150 hp., wheelbase: 250," built in Pontiac MI, acquired by Museum in 1969.
St. Louis based Hogan Racing raced this CART-series car in 1998 which features a fiber, Kevlar reinforced body. In its racing condition, a Mercedes-Benz engine powered the 1,525 pound car at speeds of over 200 miles per hour. Hogan Racing fielded several future superstar drivers, including future Indy 500 winner Helio Castroneves, who raced this car and for whom this car is lettered. The Reynard showcases Hogan's St. Louis heritage by featuring the logos of the St. Louis Cardinals, Blues, and former Rams. It was used as a show and exhibit car following its retirement from racing. Engine Type: V8; displacement: 161.5 CI; 850 hp; wheelbase: 119.5 inches
The CoBra was under continuous development and was a good 60,000+ mile engine (if properly maintained) when it was abandoned for cast iron. CoBra engines fall into two groups. The early engines had straight cut tower shaft gears and a painted block (switch to spiral cut gear came before galvanized block). The later engines had a spiral cut tower gear and a galvanized coated block.
The early CoBra engines had straight cut gears on the tower shaft/cam. Later engines went to the spiral cut gears to quiet down the valve train a little. Because of the thin sheet metal construction the noise level of a tin engine is still high, almost sounding like a diesel.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder, Crosley CoBra (COpper BRAzed)
Divco was a brand name of delivery trucks built and marketed in the United States. Divco is an acronym which stands for Detroit Industrial Vehicles Company.
Built in 1963, this model may be driven standing or sitting. When standing, the throttle and brake were mounted on the steering column. This model has a Ford engine. It was used by Bailey Dairy until the early 1980s.
Divco was known for its multi-stop delivery trucks, particularly in use as home delivery vehicles by dairy producers.
This Autocar truck was donated to the Museum in 1961, three years after it went out of service. At that time the president of Maplewood Planing Mill Co., Alan C. Blood, said that when his father purchased the truck for the company in 1925. He partially paid for it "by trading in a team of horses, a wagon, and a half carload of hay." In its thirty-three years of service this truck hauled countless thousands of board feet of lumber from the Missouri Pacific's Greenwood Boulevard tracks to the Maplewood Mill at 2731 Sutton Boulevard, Maplewood MO, about a half-mile away. It has a three-ton capacity.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder
Displacement: 276 cubic inches
Price New: $3,550.00
Built in: Ardmore PA
The Autocar Company is an American specialist manufacturer of severe-duty, Class 7 and Class 8 vocational trucks started in 1897 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as a manufacturer of Brass Era automobiles, and trucks from 1899, Autocar is the oldest surviving motor vehicle brand in the Western Hemisphere.
Donated to Museum in 1961 by Maplewood Planing Mill Company.
This is believed to be the first truck used to haul mail in the State of Alabama. The Chase Motor Truck Company was founded in 1907, and its three-cylinder engine was used beginning in 1910. The truck has a three-cylinder, two-stroke, air-co0led, 20 horsepower engine, is chain-driven, and has a load capacity of 1,500 pounds. Price new $900; built in Syracuse NY. Museum acquired the truck in 1972 from donor Robert W. Abbott.
This Chicago truck was an "assembled" vehicle that was created using components from various suppliers; it was a common practice, with dozens of brands manufacturing trucks in the United States. The Chicago truck company was founded in 1906 for the sale and maintenance of trucks and built its first vehicle in 1919. The firm was out of business by 1932. Featuring a four-cylinder Hercules engine with a chain drive, and solid tires, this truck was used for many years by the donor for transporting fuel tanks.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder Hercules
Displacement: 251 Cubic inches
Price New: $2,290.00
Built in: Chicago IL
Donated to Museum Of Transportation in 1964 by Standard Oil Company of Indiana.
The Model TT was a one-ton truck that derived from a Model T car chassis; it utilized a stronger frame, heavier rear axle, and the addition of two rear springs. The truck debuted in 1917 selling for $600.00. Ford only sold the engine and the chassis leaving it up to the buyer to either custom complete the truck cab and body themselves or pay a coach builder to finish it for them. By the 1920's Ford added the option of a cab, which cost another $45-$65.
The versatility of the TT made it useful to farmers and merchants; as fire trucks, dump trucks, and passenger vehicles. By 1928, 1.3 million Ford Model TTs had been sold.
This truck arrived at the museum in 1997 in several crates. A team of dedicated volunteers re-assembled and restored it.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder
Displacement: 176.7 cubic inches
Price New: $550.00
Built in: Detroit MI
Donated to the Museum in 1997 by William Englebrecht.
Although farm equipment was at the heart of the International Harvester's business, it also included a highly competitive truck line established in 1907. With growing competition in the farm machinery industry, the company launched a national ad campaign in 1954 called, "The International Truck Caravan." The caravan showcased the truck line and toured the country stopping at at local dealerships. International Harvester built light-duty trucks until 1975. The company's truck division was sold to Navistar International Corporation in 1986.
Engine Type: 6 cylinder
Displacement: 220.5 Cubic inches
Price New: $1,484.00
Built in: Canto IL
Donated to the Museum in 1988 by William and Irene Blackwell.
This Elgin Model D street sweeper was the company's first machine designed specifically for automobile traffic. The brushes concentrated on the curbs instead of the center of the street waste removal typical for horse-drawn traffic. This 1929 street sweeper is believed to be the oldest street sweeper in America
1925 Dodge Brothers 2-Door Coach – 5P Police Car Replication
2-Door Coach - 5P
Although the St. Louis County Police Department was not established until July 1, 1955, this 1925 Dodge Brothers 2-door coach was restored and painted to replicate a police car of the 1920s. This car served as a public relations attraction and was displayed at many community events before it was donated to the Museum in 2004. Engine type: L-head 4 cylinder; displacement: 212.3 cubic inches; horsepower :24.03; wheelbase: 116 inches; donor: Charles and June Gallagher.
Service cars operated in the same manner as buses and streetcars as they had regular routes with regular stops. Cab drivers and bus companies loathed these cars as they were cheaper to ride and stole potential customers.
By the 1960s, most service car companies had shut and survivors operated limited routes in north St. Louis. The Consolidated Service Car Co. was the last to offer rides and was eventually bought by Bi-State in 1962. However, most drivers owned their cars and continued their service. With the support of the Committee of Racial Equality (CORE), they charged no fare but accepted 'donations' as 'freedom riders.' Bi-State added more routes to compete with the unlicensed service cars but the African American residents boycotted the buses in these areas. The dispute was settled in 1966.
This is the last running and remaining service car. Engine type: 6-cyl. L-Head; Displacement: 230 cubic inches; Horsepower: 103; Built in: San Leandro CA; Donors: Herman Perkins, Anthony Sansone, Consolidated Service Car Co.; Acquired by Museum in 1967.
Physicians used buggies of this type to make house calls to their patients often bartering for their services. The Banner Buggy Co. was one of the largest horse-drawn vehicle manufacturers in the country.
Buick built trucks for a very short time. One body style available was the “Old English Motor Bus." It is believed that this is one of the only surviving models of this type. Typically, they were used by hotels as a courtesy vehicle or for sightseeing. The twelve passenger bus has a 2 cylinder 22 horse power engine located under the front seat and it is chain-driven. Donated in 1973 by William S. Abbott, this rare antique was restored to operating condition in 1995 through the generosity of the Buick Automobile Dealers of St. Louis.
This portable gasoline caddy from the 1920s allowed vendors to sell and pump gasoline at the curbside. A hand-cranked rotary pump was used to dispense fuel into a customer's vehicle. This gas caddy was donated to the Museum by Standard Oil in 1971.
The St. Louis Police Department used this three-wheeled custom-built motorcycle in its traffic division. It is powered by a Honda CX500 twin cylinder, water-cooled, shaft drive engine. This police trike can reach speeds up to 80 miles per hour.
Cadillac Fleetwood Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan
Cadillac Fleetwood Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan
In the Earl C. Lindburg Automobile Center is located a display unit of the ultra modern Coral Court Motel. This unit of the famous motel was saved from the wrecker's ball for our museum. The motel was built in 1941 one mile west of the city limits on Route 66. Coral Court epitomized speed, streamlining and the ideals of highway travel. The architectural gem was set among tree-lined streets and featured a swimming pool. Its end came in 1993 when it was condemned.
Parked out in front of the display unit in the attached photo is a General Motors' 1941 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan. This car was widely recognized as the pinnacle of Cadillac car design. This car features the massive horizontal grille shared by all the 1941 Cadillac models, exaggerated front fenders, and a long coffin-nose hood. Under this elegant new shape is General Motors' revolutionary Hydra-Matic automatic transmission. Cadillac set a division sales record of 66,130 cars that year, including 4,100 Series 60 Specials.
Specifications: V8 engine; displacement 346 cubic inches; 150 horsepower; 126 inch wheelbase; price new of $2,195; donated by Lindburg Cadillac in 1967.
While most early American automobiles were open or convertible types, such as this touring model, dirt roads and poor conditions made winter driving unpleasant if not impossible. In 1910 Cadillac begin shifting it model lineup toward closed or solid-roofed vehicles. That, combined with its reputation for quality and value, led to demand surpassing factory production. This 1910 model was a long-time fixture in the showroom of the St. Louis-area Lindburg Cadillac dealerships.
Willys, Bowen Mc Laughlin York, Baifield Industries, Brunswick
4x4 Utility Platform Truck
The U.S. Military M274 Truck, Platform, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4 or "Carrier, Light Weapons, Infantry, 1/2 ton, 4x4," also known as the "Mule," "Military Mule", or "Mechanical Mule," is a 4-wheel drive, gasoline-powered truck/tractor type vehicle that can carry up to 1/2 ton off-road. There were 11,240 Mules produced between 1956-1970, when production ceased. They were used throughout as platforms for various weapons systems and for carrying men, supplies, and weaponry/ammunition during the Vietnam War and in other U.S. military operations until the 1980s.
The M274 Mules were often outfitted with a wide array of weaponry, especially in the Vietnam War. They could be modified to carry virtually any type of conventional weapon that could be mounted on a truck. All Mules had three-speed manual, non-synchromesh transmissions with two-speed transfer cases, and were four-wheel drive vehicles. The lower speeds and high power (17 hp) of the Mule made it a versatile off-road vehicle. It could climb over logs, go up steep slopes, and cross rivers in first gear.
This Ford Model AA Dump Truck is a 4-cylinder in-line L engine with 40 hp. The model AA truck version used the same body and engine with many of the same interior parts as the new model A automobile, the latter of which was a dramatic improvement over its predecessor, the Model T. The truck was built in Detroit, Michigan, with a price new of between $500 and $600.
Displacement 200.5 cubic inches; 131.5 inch wheelbase; built in Detroit MI; donated by Contractors Roofing Supply, O'Fallon MO in 1995.
The 1937 Chevrolet Master Deluxe models had dashboard heat indicators, a front passenger armrest, dual tail lamps,, double windshield wipers, twin sun visors, and fancy bumpers with guards. The 1937 models featured an enlarged trunk in order to fit a spare tire. Coveted for its "gliding knee-action ride," the Master De Luxe contained springs to absorb shocks, allowing the car to ride smoothly on the roads.
Specifications: 6-cylinder engine; manual transmission; wheelbase 112.25 inches; four wheel hydraulic brakes; price new: $765; donated to the Museum in 1995 by Glenn Hensley and Mary Beranek.
This 1917 Chevrolet series 490 touring car was introduced to compete with the Ford Model T and was produced
between 1915 and 1922. The 1917 Chevrolet 490 model saw the addition of a left front door, standardized electric lamps, and sliding windows. Cloth upholstery rather than leather or vinyl was a features. All automobiles were finished in black. Priced new, it was $490, and if one wanted an electric lighting and starting system, it would cost an additional $60. Weight: 1,890 pounds; wheelbase: 108 inches. This vehicle was donated to the Museum in 1984 by Mr. Edward J. Walsh, Jr.
Chevrolet Corvettes with their unusual fiberglass bodies were introduced in 1953 as an economical sports car. This V-8 250 hp engine cost $1.212.00 new in 1965. Corvettes were built in St. Louis from 1954 to 1981.
Stylish and well-appointed, the 1923 6-58 Sport Touring Moon is an example of Moon's predilection for over soliciting orders (15,000) and under delivery (6,000) which led to Moon's downfall by 1930. At least 12 different bodies were offered on two chassis during the 1923 model year.
Specifications: High quality Continental 8R engine and Timken axles; displacement 171 cubic inches; 58 horsepower; 128 inch wheelbase; price new $2,095; built in St. Louis MO; acquired by Museum in 2006.
The electric Comuta-Car was useful for short commuter trips due to its limited range before it required to be recharged. 6 horsepower GE motor; top speed 40 mph; range before recharging: 40 miles; original base price: $3,995; weight 1,400 pounds; manufacturing headquarters: Sebring FL.
The electric Bradley GT II was designed by John Chun, a former employee of Shelby American who also penned the lines of the classic 1960s Shelby Mustangs. 20.7 horsepower GE Tracer I motor; top speed: 75 mph in boost mode, 55 mph in cruise mode; range before recharging: 100 miles city, 70 miles highway; original base price $28,000; weight 2900 pounds; manufacturing headquarters; Plymouth MN; total number built: 50.
The first Hupmobile, the Model 20 Runabout, was introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in February of 1909 with much fanfare and went into production a month later. This economical automobile was offered to the public at $750.00 F.O.B. and was considered a bargain with its two-speed sliding gear transmission and Bosch high tension magneto ignition system often reserved for pricier model cars. A folding top, trunk rack, glass windshield, and gas headlamps were premium extras. 5,340 Model 20 Runabouts were manufactured in 1910 and they continued to be produced through 1913.
Engine type: L-Head 4 cylinder; 18/20 horsepower; Wheelbase in inches: 86; Built in: Detroit MI; Donated By: Red LaMore Auto Body, Webster Groves MO
This produce peddler's truck was owned and operated by Dominic "Micky" Licavoli in St. Louis MO. It is a combination of a 1937 Chevrolet truck chassis and a 1920s era custom-built wood coach. Peddling wares was very common in the city up until the 1950s when large supermarkets became the preferred choice of shopping. The drivers had regular routes and knew their customers' needs. Often, trucks were equipped with a bell or whistle to announce their arrival, in addition to yelling very loudly.
Edward Linhart donated this truck to the Museum in 1960. Museum volunteers completed their meticulous restoration of the truck to running order in 2018.
Ford's Model N automobile mad great strides toward Henry Ford's dream of producing an affordable, mass-produced vehicle. The lightweight Model N contained a 4-cylinder engine and was capable of being driven 45 miles per hour. It contained stylish fixtures, including the nickel-plated front lamps and an 84-inch wheelbase.
At the time of production, the 1906 4-cylinder Ford Model N sold for only $500, which was less than one-cylinder automobiles sold by Cadillac, Reo, Rambler and Oldsmobile. Ford's reputation for safety and reliability, in addition to the features of the Model N, made this car the predecessor to the later, and much more famous, Model T.
Specifications: 15 horsepower; acquired by Museum in 1977; donated by William T. Dooley, Jr.
Industrial designer Raymond Loewy created the distinctive look of many Studebaker models from the late 1930s into the 1960s. The bullet-nose front and the wrap-around rear window are hallmarks of this Studebaker design. The economical but innovative and safe Studebakers offered a Hill Holder feature, power antenna, and child-proof rear door locks as options. Despite its 1954 merger with Packard, Studebaker closed its doors in South Bend IN in 1964, ending 112 years of first wagon and then automobile and truck production.
Specifications of the Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe: V-8 engine; displacement 232.6 cubic inches; 120 horsepower; 115 inch wheelbase; price new $1,933; built in South Bend IN; donated by Robert and Shirley Wilson in 1996.
The Chevy Bel Air Hardtop had ample interior size; it six passengers comfortably plus it had fuel efficiency. 137,672 of the four-door hardtop sedans were manufactured compared to only 47,562 of the two-door convertible models.
Specifications: V-8 engine; 115 inch wheelbase; displacement 265 cubic inches; 283 horsepower; price new $2,365; weight 3,323 pounds; donated by Willard McHugh in 2011.
Brothers Joseph and John Moon came to St. Louis in 1882 and formed the Moon Brothers Carriage Company. The company manufactured carriages, wagons, carts and buggies at low prices and with a wide range of available features. For around one hundred dollars, base model carriages could be purchased, and for several hundred dollars more, options included room for four and collapsible tops.
Well-known for its wholesale prices, the Moon Brothers Carriage Company became the largest of its type in St. Louis and a member of the National Carriage Manufacturing Association. In 1905, to keep up with the emerging industry, Joseph Moon began manufacturing automobiles. The Moon Brothers Car remained in St. Louis and manufactured cars until the early 1930s, when the company went out of business during the Great Depression.
An "opera coupe" could seat four people, but the front passenger seat was collapsible, allowing for easy access to the two-person rear seat. The height of the opera coupes also allowed for the wearing of top hats. The original owner of this car was probably wealthy enough to have a chauffeur.
Specifications: 6-cylinder engine; 128 inch wheelbase; 38.4 horsepower; price new $3,250; built in St. Louis MO; acquired 2009.
Join Our Email List
Want information about special events? Interested in learning more
about what is going on at The National Museum of Transportation?
The Dream Team of Steam! Two Big Boys – One Town
August 30th, 2021
How does breakfast in the #4006 sound before seeing the #4014?