Since our founding in 1944, the museum and staff have worked to curate the largest collection of its kind in the world. Today, our mission is to be the leader in protecting and interpreting North America’s transportation heritage.
Since our founding in 1944, the museum and staff have worked to curate the largest collection of its kind in the world. Today, our mission is to be the leader in protecting and interpreting North America’s transportation heritage.
BROWSE THE ENTIRE TRANSPORTATION COLLECTION BELOW (Note: Much of our collection is readily viewable on our grounds; some is in storage or maintenance and thus not. Call ahead if you are visiting for a particular artifact to verify it is on display. The Museum kindly requests no climbing on artifacts and no entering artifacts unless so permitted per signage or tour guide. This is for your safety and the preservation of the history we are stewarding.)
Bunkers at each end of car carried 5 tons of ice to cool produce in summer, or heaters to keep load from freezing in winter; has insulated wood body on steel frame. It was constructed with 4 inches of horse-hair insulation on the sides and end walls and 4½ inches in the roof and floor. The #52461 was donated in 1958 by the American Refrigerator Transit Company.
60,000-gallon, fully loaded weight 272,700 lb.; welded experimental car; 97-foot length would not clear curves, and 89-foot limit now applies. World’s largest tank car. Built to transport anhydrous ammonia. Donated to Museum in 1971 by General American Transportation Corporation. Hear more here.
In this car, the small sliding door above the side entry door was used for the milk loading hose. To keep the interior as clean as possible, the entry doors were kept closed once the piping was hooked up except when a worker was going in or out. The tanks were emptied from the bottom using pipes routed out the large door. The tanks are canted slightly toward the center to make it easier to drain them. The car had electric agitation motors that were plugged in and their propellers stirred the milk in the tanks while it was being loader, or when waiting to be emptied. This distributed the butterfat in the milk and prevented the residue from sticking to the tank walls, making cleaning easier. The motion of the car was expected to do this while the milk was being transported.
The 6,000 gallon tanks in the car were made of stainless steel insulated with two inches of cork, not "glass lined" steel. No ice was used as the insulation in the cars was sufficient to keep the milk from warming too much. The large quantity of pre-cooled milk also did not change the temperature quickly. The cars ran in express trains. In one test milk was shipped from Wisconsin to Florida and the temperature only raised one degree in a trip of 101 hours. Once the tanks were emptied they were scrubbed clean by a worker who entered through the large oval door. They were then sterilized using steam and resealed. Regular inspections were made by local health authorities to insure cleanliness.
Tank car was designed to transport concentrated and highly corrosive nitric acid. Carried 8,000 gallons. A double hulled car with the inner hull constructed of aluminum alloy, which is protected by a cushion of air and a steel outer safety cover shell. Loads and unloads from top.
This car was built out of cypress and fir wood and holds 8,100 gallons of vinegar. The tank cars were painted silver to reflect sunlight and to help keep the vinegar cool. This type of car had a relatively short track life. Wood was used for these cars as vinegar is acidic and would have been very corrosive to early steel tank cars. Less than six wooden vinegar tank cars remain in existence.
Produced in 1904 by the St. Louis Refrigerator Car Company, this was one of the first Anheuser-Busch cars designed to transport draught beer. Although it incorporates a steel frame, it is wood-bodied and is insulated with horsehair, shredded paper, and wood shavings. Pre-cooled beer was loaded into the car, whose insulation kept the A-B products cool in warm weather and from freezing in winter. It is one of the oldest surviving examples of "billboard" advertising on railroad freight cars. Number 3600 was donated to MOT in April 1958. Records indicate #3600 transported 6,277,500 gallons of beer between the St. Louis brewery and Texas distribution points before it was removed from service.
Built in Brainerd, Minnesota, by the Northern Pacific Railway, this all-steel caboose spent its career serving the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway (SP&S). The SP&S was jointly owned by the Northern Pacific and Great Northern Railways. When these railways merged with the Burlington Northern line, this caboose was renumbered BN 11436.
This "Front Runner" piggyback car was designed to carry truck trailers. It has four wheels instead of a pair 0f two-axle trucks, 28-inch diameter wheels rather than 33-inch diameter wheels which were standard on most freight cars. It did not have a continuous floor so it could not accommodate containers nor could a trailer be towed aboard by a tractor. The trailer could only be loaded by an overhead crane. The car is 53'10" in length, weighs 25,500 pounds empty, and has a capacity of 65,000 pounds.
This Union Refrigerator Transit Lines URTX # 37144 car was built in 1948 by General American Transportation Co. The 'X" in URTX indicates the car was privately owned while the Milwaukee Road Herald showed it was leased to that railroad. Number 37144 is 40' long & weights 61,500 lbs. The car is a steel bodied reefer with iced bunkers at each end. These ice bunkers hold 10,400 lbs. of chunk ice or 11,500 lbs. of crushed ice. Ice stations were located every 100-150 miles along the railroads main line to replace the melted ice. In the winter, charcoal heaters could be placed in the bunkers to keep the cargo from freezing. Fans are located in the floor at each end to circulate air and keep an even temperature throughout the car. Typical cargo would be fresh fruit, vegetables or eggs. This reefer car was donated in 1975 by the General American Transportation Corporation.
Car #'s 37000, 37095, 37144, 37151, 37439, 37453, 37467, 65104, 67310, 67901, built 1948 - 1954. All steel but still ice-cooled.
Built by Union Tank Car Company, this 6,500 gallon petroleum car is an early attempt to build a tank car without a full length under frame. Short frames at each end attached the tank to the wheels and couplers. This style was called "Van Dyke" which is a patented, frameless tank car using the tank with extra stiffening plate on bottom in place of an under frame. This construction of heavy steel plate was to absorb the movement of the train. The stress caused by this movement made the tank flex, loosening the rivets and allowing the contents to leak. This design problem was eliminated by welding on modern cars. It was donated in 1952 by the Union Tank Company.
This carriage auto originally cost $900 new and was powered by a one-cylinder, 7-hp engine; displacement 123; 66 inch wheelbase; built in St. Louis, Missouri; donated in 1966 by William T. Dooley Jr.
The St. Louis Motor Carriage Company was the first successful automobile business west of the Mississippi River. A manufacturer of automobiles at 1211–13 North Vandeventer Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri, it was founded by George Preston Dorris (later credited with developing and patenting the float-carburetor) and John French in 1898. French took charge of marketing with Dorris heading engineering and production. The firm built 680 vehicles in its St. Louis plant from 1899 to 1905. French left to build vehicles in Peoria, Illinois, while George Dorris stayed behind in St. Louis and founded the Dorris Motor Car Company in 1906. St. Louis Motor Carriage was the first of many St. Louis automakers and produced automobiles from 1899 to 1907.
The Bobby Darin “Dream Car” is a one-of-a-kind custom car designed by Detroit clothing designer Andy Di Dia in 1953 and completed in 1960. Mr. Di Dia apparently did not care for the design of automobiles in the early 1950’s. The Di Dia 150 was hand-built by four workers in Detroit, Michigan between 1953 and 1960 at a cost of over $93,000 dollars.
The original Cadillac V8 engine was replaced by a Ford 427/365 hp V8 engine. The body and chassis are hand-formed in aluminum with an aluminum alloy welded tube frame. The car has hidden windshield wipers, retracting headlights, swiveling turn signals, and doors that opened with a push on a panel outside of the car (there are no door handles) and a trunk that was hinged from the driver’s side. The Dream Car was also equipped with the first backseat-mounted radio speakers. The interior is rust-colored to contrast with the ruby colored exterior. The car has 30 coats of paint with ground industrial diamond dust to add sparkle.
Bobby Darin, a well-known singer, purchased the car from Mr. Di Dia, and as a result, it became forever known as Bobby Darin’s Dream Car.
A total of 55 Turbine cars were built by Chrysler Corporation. The body of the car was handmade by Ghia, an Italian Design Studio, and then shipped to the United States where the engine was installed. Five cars were built in 1962 as prototypes used for troubleshooting, and each was slightly different from the others. A total of 50 identical turbine cars were built between October 1963 and October 1964. They were all two-door hardtop coupes with power brakes and power steering. All were painted identically with a color known as “Turbine Bronze."
The engine that powered the turbine car could operate on many different fuels, required less maintenance and lasted longer than the piston engine.
In 1952, Ford Motor Co. began a test program to explore the use of gas turbine engines for automobiles and trucks. An improved version of the gas turbine engine was tested in a tilt-cab truck tractor with a 300-horsepower, 704-cubic-inch-displacement engine--this 1959 CT-1100 was the first vehicle used to test it. The main advantages of the turbine engine were low noise, emissions, oil consumption, and vibration; easy cold-weather starting; extended overhaul life; high torque at low speeds; and instantaneous full-power capability. High fuel consumption at idle and costly manufacturing materials needed because of their high operating speeds and temperatures prevented successful turbine use in cars or trucks. Ford gave up development in 1973. This truck tractor was donated by Ford in 1971.
U.S. Army Air Force Douglas Aircraft C-47A “Gooney Bird” #N 3-15635
C-47A Transport "Gooney Bird"
Douglas Aircraft Co.
This twin-engine 1943 Douglas Aircraft product, the military version of the DC-3, is thought to have been used by the United States Army Air Force in the World War II invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944. It is painted in camouflage with invasion stripes, which were placed on Allied aircraft used on D-Day to identify them so they would not be subject to friendly fire. The plane was agile and dependable, and could land and take off on comparatively short air fields. It earned the nickname “Gooney Bird” because its large, lumbering image mirrored that of the giant albatross birds, known for their endurance and ability to fly great distances, found on Midway Island in the Pacific. After the war, this plane was used in commercial passenger service in Nevada until it was reacquired by the military for use by the 131st Tactical Fighter Group of the Missouri Air National Guard for 22 years. Hear more here.
The H.T. Pott was the first Missouri River towboat with a welded steel hull instead of a riveted hull. The vessel operated out of Kansas City, Missouri on the Missouri River. It is named for Herman T. Pott (1895-1982), a distinguished river transportation executive and entrepreneur. The groups of barges that are moved on the nation’s rivers are called “tows." The boats that propel the barges are “towboats” even though they push the barges from the back instead of pulling them. The H.T. Pott is 58 feet long and 15 feet wide, and it has a “draft” the amount of the hull below the water line of 6 feet. You can walk the decks of the H.T. Pott. Hear more here.
Lockheed T-33 US Air Force training aircraft.
The T-33A was developed by modifying the P-80 jet which later became the “F-80 Shooting Star." The fuselage of the P-80 was lengthened and a second seat was added which required the use of a larger engine. This design resulted in the T-33A. Both propeller driven aircraft pilots and the new jet aircraft pilots were trained on the T-33A.
The T-33A made its maiden flight in March of 1948. Manufacture of this plane continued from 1948 to 1959. The plane has served in the Air Forces of more than 30 countries becoming one of the most widely used trainers in history.
Mules pulled this car between downtown St. Louis and Bellefontaine in north St. Louis County until 1895. Passengers entered through the rear door and paid a nickel fare. The car had no heater. In the winter the company spent three cents a day for straw to cover the floor to add warmth for riders. The driver was paid nine-and-and-a-half cents per hour. The mule could only work for six hours per day. The driver worked much longer.
The Bellefontaine was long stored by United Railways and St. Louis Public Service Co. Acquired in 1944, the #33 became the first artifact in the Museum's collection.
Built for Lindell Railway and served as passenger car until 1903; then converted by company shops to wrecker, retrieving disabled trolleys; used also by United Railways, St. Louis Public Service Co.
29' 7" long by 8'7" wide, 4'10" gauge; K-35 controller, straight air brakes, CP-127 air compressor; United Railways 25 trucks.
Originally Lindell Railways (1896-1899) then United Railways (1899-1904), United Railways #81 (1904-1911), United Railways #165 (1900-1927), St. Louis Public Service #165 (1963), Bi-State Development Agency #165 (1963-1966).
Donated to TNMOT in 1966 by Bi-State Development Agency.
Bi-State Development Agency #1664
St. Louis Car Co.
President’s Conference Committee (PCC) electric trolley, built for St. Louis Public Service Co.
This rail grinder was built to replace the earlier 1892 rebuilt streetcar which is currently located at the National Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood, MO. It ran until the end of St. Louis Streetcar Service in 1966.
Bi-State Development Agency #60
Bi-State Development Agency
Built for St. Louis & Suburban Railway, sprinkler was first used to keep down dust, later for weed-spraying; also used by United Railways, St. Louis Public Service Co.
Open wooden platform (recovered with steel); semi-convertible; double-ended operation. It is a "Convertible Car;" in summer it ran with open-screened windows. In winter it ran with windows closed and car was heated via a charcoal heater. It weighs 73,230 pounds and seats 60.
#1365 was operated with a third rail that produced 600 volts DC which powered two Westinghouse Model 50-L traction motors.
Originally ran for Brooklyn Rapid Transit from 1905 - 1923, and then ran for Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit from 1923 - 1940. Next it ran for New York City Board of Transportation from 1940 - 1953. Last operated in service for New York City Transit Authority from 1953 - 1958.
Currently Operational. Single-unit version of 6000-series cars; operator’s cab at each end; had both third-rail and trolley pole power pickup. Built by the St. Louis Car Company for Chicago’s elevated and subway lines, using trucks and controls designed for PCC-type streetcars. Some components came from Chicago’s own PCC streetcars which were replaced by electric trolleybuses and diesel buses in the 1950s. Mostly on the Evanston line (today’s Purple Line) until 1993, and came to TNMOT in 1998.
Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) Elevated Car #44 was built in 1959 with recycled parts from retired Chicago President’s Conference Committee (PCC) streetcars. This car originally ran with a trolley pole on the Evanston line and to the Loop using third rail. Many of the original placards or “Car Cards” as they are called, can be seen inside the car. Hear more here.
Illinois Terminal #410 is a suburban car originally built as IT 62. It was assigned to the Illinois Valley Division southwest of Chicago, but was later transferred to St. Louis suburban service. Lightweight steel interurban car; double-ended. It is 46'6" long, and 8'8" wide, with a height of 10'6". Ownership history: Illinois Traction System #62 1924-1929; Chicago & Illinois Valley #62 1929-1930; Illinois Terminal #410 1930-1958.
#241 was used as a mainline interurban car. It ran for Illinois Traction from 1908-1928 and for Illinois Terminal from 1928 – 1950. Number 241 was retired in 1950. It is constructed of wood and has 48 seats. Illinois Traction became Illinois Terminal RR; heavy, single-ended interurban combine with clerestory railroad roof and arched stained-glass, upper-window sash.
This car is 27’10” long, 7’8” wide and 9’10” high and weighs 15,400 lbs. It is of steel construction and
ran on a gauge of 4’8” track. The car held 28 seats and was last in service in 1949. 4-wheel Birney “safety car;" double-ended.
Formerly Hudson and Manhattan Railroad subway car; could seat 44, with a total capacity 125 standing and seated. The Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) Corporation presents the #256 as the oldest transit car in passenger service between New York and New Jersey, 1909-1965. Car #256 traveled two million miles in revenue service. At the time of its retirement in 1965, it was the only remaining Class B series car on the railroad. Original exterior color was olive green.
“Louisiana” Interurban Car #2611. Double-ended interurban car used for engineering testing work by agency of 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair; later rebuilt as electric railway test car for Purdue.
44' long by 9'3" wide by 12'6" high, 4'8.5" gauge; K-35C controller with four GE 57 motors; Strait Air brakes, xx compressor; Brill Company 27 trucks.
J.G. Brill Company #Louisianna (1903/1904-1908) , Purdue University #2611 (1908-1951).
Donated to TNMOT in 1951 by Purdue University.
Currently Operational. Streamlined car built for Philadelphia Transportation Co.; originally 5 foot 2-1/2 inch gauge, converted to 4 foot 8-1/2 inch gauge and restored to operation at TNMOT in 1995-97. Hear more here.
Streetcar #1005 was built for United Railways, then on to St. Louis Public Service Co.; re-motored to pull trailers; also numbered 1065. SLPS car 1005 was a standard car used as a "trailer puller" for years in St. Louis. The car was built in 1909 but was heavily rebuilt during its service life. History: United Railways #1065 1909-1927 / St. Louis Public Service #1065 1927-1947 / St. Louis Public Service #1005 1943-1947 /The National Museum of Transportation (Kirkwood, Missouri) 1947-present.
Streamlined car sold by PSC to San Francisco Transit Authority and renumbered 1164; loaned to East Troy (WI) RR Museum; now the property of NMOT for an exchange of materials with the City of San Francisco. Hear more here.
The first St. Louis rail grinder numbered 215 was this car, built as a streetcar. A rail grinder is used to smooth trolley track. #215 later saw service as a railway post office car on Bellefontaine Ry, and then as a door repair car. Later #215 was converted to rail grinder in 1910 and ran as such until 1946.
#426 was first operated by United Railways (later St. Louis Public Service). Trailer #426 is 45 ft. long, 8 ft. 10 in. wide, and contains 64 seats. It is a motorless streetcar trailer with a steel frame and body with canvas over wood roof and round ends with dual center doors. It was taken totally out of Service in 1948.
Rebuilt in 1913 as double-ended car; other in-service numbers were 945 and 855 on United Railways and St. Louis Public Service Co. #894 is an attractive deck-roof streetcar built by the Laclede Car Company in 1896 for the Southern Electric Railway, which later became part of SLPS. It was acquired by the Museum of Transportation near St. Louis in 1947 and during the 1990's was cosmetically restored. History: Southern Electric Railway #945 1896-1898 / United Railways #945 1898-1913 / United Railways #894 1913-1927 / St. Louis Public Service #894 1927-1939 / St. Louis Public Service #855 1939-1947 /National Museum of Transportation (Kirkwood, Missouri) 1947-present. 39'10" in length and 8'3" in width. 8 (B-B) wheels, UR 25 trucks, WH 95 (4) motor.
St. Louis Waterworks Railway #17 was a double-ended interurban car, used between Grand Ave., later extended to Bissells Point Station, the City's Baden Water Works Station and Chain of Rocks Water Plant in north St. Louis. It contained 44 seats. The roof is constructed of wood with a canvas top over the wood. It was initially retired in 1946, but taken totally out of service in 1959.
Union Depot #3
St. Louis Car Co.
4-window, double-ended horse-drawn car built for unknown user; returned to builder and displayed at 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, then stored until 1948 donation to TNMOT.
The "Big Boy" is considered to be the world's largest successful steam locomotive. The locomotive was used to haul the heavy freight trains over the mountains between Cheyenne WY and Ogden UT. The "Big Boy" is an "articulated" engine that is 132 feet 9 1/4 inches long. It weighs 600 tons and could generate a speed of up to 80 mph. The Union Pacific railroad ordered 25 units and, of that number, seven are on static display and one has bee restored and is fully operational. Hear more here.
Boston Providence Railroad Daniel Nason – One of Oldest Surviving Locomotives
Boston & Providence Railroad Shops
The "Daniel Nason" is the oldest steam locomotive in the Museum's collection and one of the oldest surviving locomotives in the nation. With a 4-4-0 wheel arrangement, the locomotive is the only surviving "insider," a design popular with railroads before the Civil War, with cylinders and main driving rods between (rather than outside of ) the locomotive side frames. The locomotive had a top speed of 60 mph. Part of the Purdue Collection.
General Motors used lightweight construction concepts in the building of a futuristic locomotive and 10 cars, which resulted in the "Aerotrain." It was an attempt to lure passengers back to rail travel vs. air or automobile travel. Unfortunately, at high speeds the coaches rode very poorly and were very noisy since they were little more than widened bus bodies. The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific ultimately used the trains as commuters from Chicago to Joliet, IL. Hear more here.
Last "shovel-nosed" diesel made for Zephyr passenger service from St. Louis to Kansas City, MO, and last in service. Named "General Pershing Zephyr" after Missouri native, General John J. Pershing of WWI fame. Streamlined design of earlier "Zephyr Units."
General Motors Electro-Motive Division (EMD) locomotive #103 was a demonstrator with 1350 horsepower. First successful diesel electric locomotive. This locomotive proved the efficiency of diesel electric power, ending the steam locomotive era. National Engineering Landmark declared 1982.
This is the largest and heaviest rotary snowplow built. It is 56'2" long, 17' high and weighs 376,400 pounds. (That's the same as 62 African Elephants!) Its 12' diameter cutting wheel could throw snow far to either side of the track as it was pushed forward at four to six mph. Its hydraulically operated wings can open to permit a 14' wide cutting swath of snow. The cutting wheel can revolve up to 150 rpm. It is not self propelled and must be pushed by up to four locomotives.
A steam generator heats the carburetor, prevents the fuel and water pipes from freezing and thaws out the cutting wheel if it gets stuck. The plow engineer controls both the plow and the trailing locomotives. The circular windows in the front of this plow revolve to keep them clear from snow. Hear more here.
The "Black Diamond" is the sole surviving steam inspection engine. It was used by the President of Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron Co. and other railroad executives on short business or inspection trips. The "Black Diamond" is 22'9" in length and weighs 26,300 pounds. It is believed the engine could attain a maximum speed of 60 mph.
This engine is one of only two large Mohawk type NYC steam engines to have survived being scrapped. It is the only locomotive donated for preservation by the NYC. It weighs 185 tons and has 67" drivers.
New York & Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Nickel Plate Road Locomotive #170
4-6-4 S Hudson
American Locomotive Company
New York, Chicago, St. Louis Railroad "Nickel Plate Road #170" Steam Locomotive. Number 170 is The oldest surviving "Hudson" locomotive. Passenger locomotive until 1947.
St. Louis and San Francisco Railway #1522 Locomotive (Frisco)
Baldwin Locomotive Works
St. Louis-San Francisco Railway #1522 famous steam locomotive (Frisco). Locomotive has booster engine on trailing truck. The engine was used in freight/passenger service. Retired in 1955, it was donated to the Museum. #1522 led 2 lives, restored in 1988 to operating condition and returned to hauling passengers on Midwest excursions from 1988 to 2002.
Georgia Railroad #724 Locomotive
"Fantail" Steam Locomotive
Baldwin Locomotive Works
Last coal-burner steam engine to operate in the St. Louis area. Primary function was to operate as a switch engine for different companies in the area. It was called a "fantail" because of its sloping tender's allowing for greater visibility for the crew. Various parts are colored coded for informational purposes.
#12 served the Alton & Southern Railroad for just 22 years, operating 622,626 miles for the industrial switching/transfer line in Illinois. The locomotive's rare 3-cylinder design saved on fuel. Unfortunately, maintenance and associated costs for the center cylinder outweighed the fuel economies. Only four North American 3-cylinder steam engines exist today. #12 weighs 242,000 pounds and has three 22" x 28" cylinders.
Arkansas & Missouri Railroad #22 for a time was the oldest operating diesel locomotive in regular mainline service. After being sold a number of times, it finally ended up with the Arkansas & Missouri, where for many years it served as a power unit for the railroad's excursion trains.
Built as a freight locomotive to operate service between downtown St. Louis and Central Illinois, #1595 has a four-truck articulated design which allowed safe weight distribution on bridges which enabled it to negotiate tight curves on city streets. The locomotive is 52 feet in length and weighs 160,000 pounds. It has eight General Electric motors which received 600-volt DC power through a trolley pole from overhead wires. Number 1595 is the sole surviving class C locomotive of the Illinois Terminal Railroad.
The Boston and Albany was a railroad connecting Boston, MA, and Albany, NY. Number 39's a coal-burner called "Mamora" and was nicknamed "Eddy Clock" after the designer, Wilson Eddy. It received its nickname because it was said to run with clock-like precision. It has 63" drive wheels, link-and-pin couplers, a "domeless" boiler and weighs 67,150 pounds. Number 39 is the sole survivor of 100 similar engines built for the Boston and Albany.
Chicago & Illinois Midland Railroad Steam Locomotive #551 Mikado with a 2-8-2 configuration was big and powerful. During WWII name was changed from Mikado to McArthur. This engine powered coal trains from Illinois Midland Coal Mines to Commonwealth Edison Electric Generating Plants.
Delaware, Lackawanna and Western #952 steam engine is the only surviving "Mother Hubbard" (or camelback) 4-4-0 type locomotive. The engine burned hard anthracite coal. It was featured in the railroad's "Phoebe Snow" passenger train advertising campaign using the image of a woman dressed in white to illustrate the cleanliness of anthracite coal.
Eagle-Picher/St. Louis-San Francisco Railway #1621
These engines were originally built for the Imperial Russian State Railways as allied military aid during WWI. After the Bolshevik Revolution took Russia out of the war, #1621 was one of 200 undelivered Decapods. Because Russian railroads had a 5-foot gauge rail compared to the standard American gauge of 4 feet, 8 1/2 inches, the engine had to be modified for American use.
Number 311 is the engine that pulled the famous "KATY Flyer," a commemorative train which consisted of a unique series of historic railroad cars: Caboose#1, Box Car #12321, Coach #10 and Flatcar #12145. This unit of engine and cars was named after the MKT's St. Louis to Texas passenger train. The #311 engine was originally built to burn coal, but it was converted to burn oil in 1923 while undergoing an extensive rebuild. Engine #311 is the sole surviving MKT (KATY) steam engine.
Donate to the #311 restoration here!
Massive freight hauler used until 1960 to haul heavy coal trains through the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia and West Virginia. This compound "articulated" locomotive was among the hardest working steam locomotives ever built. The articulated design allowed the locomotive to operate on tracks with tighter curves by allowing the two sets of drive wheels to split and turn independently. Weighs 961,500 pounds; the engine and tender are 113'1/4" long and have have 58" drivers. Only compound locomotive in Museum's collection. After being loaned out for five years to the Virginia Museum of Transportation, the #2156 was returned to TNMOT on June 15, 2020.
Used in freight/passenger service. Has 73" drive wheels, weighs 867,000 pounds, and reached 110 mph. The 4460 pulled last steam-powered train on the SP in 1958. Southern Pacific #4460 is a beautiful streamlined locomotive with a 4-8-4 Northern Configuration. GS Class engine, where "GS" Stands for General Service. Southern Pacific #4460 is the only surviving GS-6 Class steam locomotive. It was built during World War II, but was never painted the famous Daylight paint scheme. Instead, it was painted black and silver, thus earning it the nicknames "War Baby" and "Black Daylight."
St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern #625, was a 4-6-0 10-Wheeler, also known as Missouri Pacific #2707, built in 1889 by Baldwin Locomotives. This was one beautiful workhorse. Engine #635 was used to haul iron ore from Iron Mountain, MO, to St. Louis. In 1917, due to a merger, the engine became part of the MOPAC Railroad. Weighs 147,300 pounds and has 61" drivers.
Wabash Locomotive #573 was originally #754. Built in 1899, it was rebuilt in 1915 to the #573 Locomotive 2-6-0 Mogul Class F5. The #573 was built to haul freight. It was used to carry freight across a bridge over the Illinois River at Bluffs, IL, that would not support the heavier diesel locomotives. It is one of only two surviving Wabash steam locomotives.
One of more than 400 "Forney" steam engines used on elevated transit lines. It ran in Chicago and was named "Charles H" after the son of John Deere of tractor fame and board member of Lake Street Elevated. Forneys were originally built for main line service but were found to be more useful on elevated transit lines or short line railroads. No. 9 is one of only six that are known to exist and the only one preserved in a museum. The Chicago Lake Street Elevated Railroad was the second permanent elevated railroad built in Chicago. Opened in 1893, parts of are still used today.
This engine is a narrow gauge coal burning tank engine. It has 24" drivers and weighs 24,000 pounds. The original owner sold the engine to the brick making company, Laclede-Christy Clay Products Company, who used it at their St. Louis, MO plant moving carloads of clay to the brick factory. It was retired in 1952.
The "South Park" is a fireless locomotive which differs from a steam locomotive. It has no way of producing its own steam. The boiler was filled two-thirds to capacity and then steam was piped in from the central power plant boiler. As the steam in the boiler diminished, the water in the fireless boiler turned into steam. The engine could operate two to two and one-half hours before it had to be refueled with water and steam. The South Park is believed to be one of the first fireless locomotives used in the United States. It is 24'8" in length and weighs 77,700 pounds.
St. Louis & San Francisco Locomotive 95/3695 "Frisco" was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works 1906 as a 0-6-0 configuration. This switch engine was built originally for the St. Louis - San Francisco Railroad as SL-SF 3695 and used as a railyard switcher. In 1937, it was sold to Scullin Steel Corp. as #95 and used as an industrial switcher. Scullin Steel donated the engine donated to the Museum in March 1956. Note the unique tender trucks, a Scullin design. The total weight of this coal-fired switch engine is 229,100 lbs.
TRRA #146 Steam Locomotive was a tender-less locomotive with a saddle tank engine, equipped with a horizontal fire door. Museum has frame and running gear only. The cab and boiler were removed prior to #146 arriving at the Museum; the chassis artifact demonstrates gearing. The attached image is one of the engine at the time of its operating. For a photo of the frame that remains of #146 in the Museum's tunnel, click here.
Union Electric #1 Yard Locomotive, built as a 0-4-0 configuration in 1925 by Baldwin Locomotive Works. This engine helped build Missouri’s Bagnell Dam. The engine weighs 63,000 lbs. Saddle tank switcher steam locomotive.
#2 is a "Thermos Bottle" or "Fireless" locomotive. The locomotive differs from a regular steam locomotive, because it is incapable of producing its own steam. Designed to be smokeless and safe, expelling no fire or sparks. The boiler is two-thirds filled with water and then steam is injected into the boiler from a central power plant boiler. As the steam dissipates, the water in the fireless boiler is turned into additional steam. The engine weighs 140,000 pounds. #2 was last used at Union Electric's power plant in Venice, Illinois.
One of five experimental passenger diesel locomotives, it hauled Baltimore & Ohio's first diesel-powered Royal Blue service until 1937. In 1938 it was transferred to the Chicago & Alton and then became #1200 under the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad. It then powered GM&O "Abraham Lincoln" passenger service from St. Louis to Chicago until it was retired in 1958.
Built as a heavy freight locomotive, and powered by a 645E3 V-20 turbo-charged diesel engine. It was the first V20 engine ever made, overcoming two design challenges: making a very long crankshaft tough enough to take the torque it would endure when in service; and the firing order for 20 cylinders. The engine is 65'8" long, and weighs approximately 391,000 pounds.
#4502 is one of twelve RS-3s Missouri Pacific bought from ALCO in early 1955. It weighs 229,000 pounds and is 55' 11" long. The engine was sold in 1975 and used as a short line freight engine and later as a switcher. #4502 ALCO RS-3 had a max speed of 65 mph; built by ALCO for heavy freight.
Sabine River & Northern Railway Locomotive painted in Bumble Bee colors; engine had 900 horsepower Winston Model 201-A engine, cast frame, with top speed of 50 mph. This Model NC diesel-electric switcher cost $91,500.00 and weighs 250,000 pounds.
Union Pacific #2804 Cutaway Locomotive--locomotive body is off showing locomotive's engine and equipment; engine is cut open showing engine functions and cylinder size.
Built by General Electric, this model U28C freight locomotive has a 16-cylinder, 4-cycle turbo charged engine and produces 2,800 horsepower. This engine is 67 feet 3 inches long, weighs 360,000 pounds and has a 2,900 gallows capacity fuel tank. Union Pacific removed its protective hoods and partly cut-away the engine so it could be used as a mechanical training locomotive.
A diesel-electric locomotive uses a diesel engine to turn an electrical generator. This produces direct current electricity which runs electric traction motors. The traction motors, located in the wheel assemblies, use gears on the axles to turn the wheels and pull the train. While steam locomotive used numbers to describe wheel arrangements, diesel locomotives are described using letters for the powered axles in a group. For example "A" equals 1 powered axle, B=2, C=3, D=4, etc. Also any unpowered or "idler" axles are identified by numbers. This C-C locomotive, number 2804, was donated to the museum in 1995 by the Union Pacific Railroad.
In 1914, to operate on the Panama Canal, 40 mules were built by GE. #662 is one the mules, named after the pack animals. Mules were used for side-to-side and braking control through the locks. Four mules were used per ship, one on each side and one on each end. They each cost $13,092 and were used on the Pacific side of the canal at the Pedro Miguel locks. They each weighed 86,300 pounds and were 32'-2 1/4" in length. The mule ran on 5' gauge rails.
Built at the Plymouth Locomotive Works of Plymouth, Ohio, #2003 is a propane-electric unit used in short line freight service on the Joplin-Pittsburg Railroad and later on the Kansas City Public Service Freight Operation as # 1. It weights 140,000 pounds, has a maximum speed of 35 mph, and contains four 110 horsepower Westinghouse motors. In 1964, #2003 was donated by James G. Ashley, Sr. of Kansas City Public Service Freight Operation.
Original school bus was converted by Illinois Terminal for use as a railbus. Special type of rear axle, flanged wheels and a 4-wheel front bogie truck. Nicknamed "The Dinky." Used to transport passengers between Grafton, IL and Alton, IL. Engine, line 2; gas straight 6 cyl, 6 volt. Donated in 1953 by the Illini Railroad Club. Hear more here.
One of two Class B locomotives preserved is #1575 used on an electric freight line, one of the last B's built which used a cast steel underframe. It operated in freight service across the Illinois Traction System, and later Illinois Terminal. The country's second largest interurban network was the Illinois Traction System - the McKinley lines - that stretched across much of the state of Illinois and lasted into the late 1950's. The ITS shops in Decatur were perhaps best known for the large fleet of boxcab locomotives that were designed and built entirely in-house. The earliest of these homebuilt units were the Class B's.
Generating up to 3,200 continuous horsepower, #E-2 was used primarily to pull transcontinental passenger trains (including the famed Olympian Hiawatha) between Othello and Tacoma, WA, through the Cascade mountains. The 76-foot long electrically powered locomotive, weighing 260 tons, is the only survivor of five built for the Milwaukee Road. “Bi-polar” engines used a special motor to operate electrically. It was called a "bi-polar" design because of the two motor field magnet cores, one on each side of the motorized axles. Dual-facing engine. They were designed to pull passenger cars.
Primary function was to haul passenger trains on electrified tracks between New York City's Grand Central Station and Harmon, NY. The locomotive operated on 660 volts DC and produced 2,200hp. Power was obtained by an "electrified" third rail, but used a small pantograph on top of the engine to receive power from overhead wires when operating in NYC's Park Avenue tunnel. This type of locomotive served as the prototype for Lionel and Ives model trains.
Mechanical drive; clutch and four-speed transmission. The Whitcomb Locomotive Company of Rochelle, IL built this 15-ton, model SRD industrial switching locomotive.
It was a gasoline-mechanical engine, but it was later given an 87 HP, 3 cylinder, GM diesel engine. It has a clutch and manual transmission that has four speeds in both directions. This drives the rear axle wheels via a double chain drive, with the front ones powered by the side rods ("B" classification). Mechanically driven locomotives never got much bigger than this one, capable of slowly moving a few cars in an industrial plant. The clutch and transmission could not handle the weights or speeds of long trains, even as a railroad switch engine. The diesel-electric locomotive, with electrical transmission of its power was developed for those jobs. This engine is 19 feet long and has 80-inch drive wheels. The "dome" on top of the engine hood is the sandbox. All locomotives carry sand to drop on the railheads when needed for extra traction. This locomotive was used at the St. Louis City's Howard Bend Water Plant. It was purchased in 1978.
#502 was designed for heavy freight operations on ore trains. It weighs 346,600 pounds and has 59" drivers. During the 1920s numerous upgrades were made to the engine including a larger tender which included a "dog house" for the brakeman. In 1937, #502 transferred to the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range to haul ore trains from the Missabe Range to Lake Superior.
The nose of this Alco/GE diesel belies its multi-gauge trucks that are able to run on almost any tracks in the world. This Alco/GE diesel was built with multi-gauge trucks for service anywhere there are train tracks in the event of war. A total of 96 were built. Most of the locomotives produced were put into storage to await a worldwide need.
St. Louis Southwestern Railroad (Cotton Belt) SSWMW #95589
Wedge Snow Plow (converted from Vanderbilt tender)
Baldwin Locomotive Works
Number 95589 was originally built as a "Vanderbilt" tender to a Rock Island 2-8-2 "Mikado" engine. It was rebuilt in the mid-1920s to a water tank car, and then in 1957 converted to a snow plow. One-third of the tank was removed and a fabricated wedge was attached to the tank. Remaining two-thirds of the tank was filled with ballast to add weight and stability to the plow. One or more engines pushed the plow through snow. Originally built for the Rock Island Line, it was conveyed to the St. Louis Southwestern when the former line was sold and broken up.
Donated to TNMOT in 1995 by the Southern Pacific Railroad.
The stage coach-style passenger coach of Boston & Providence Railroad was designed and built by John Lightner in Boston & Providence Railroad shops. The Boston & Providence Railroad Coach is the oldest original American railway passenger coach. Built in 1833, resembling an early stagecoach, it has four wheels and is constructed of wood, with an iron frame and leather straps supporting the body. The car was made three years after the first U.S. Steam locomotive was built in 1830. At first horse-drawn, it was later pulled behind the first steam engine that traveled between Boston, MA and Providence, RI. The coach was exhibited with the "Daniel Nason" locomotive at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893) and in New York (1939-1940). In 1982, it was among 8,500 items auctioned from the estate of a wealthy businessman. That year it was contributed to the Museum by the "Friends of the Danbury Collection." Hear more here.
An experimental gas turbine engine powered by two Boeing 502-2E 150 horsepower jet engines. Developed for the Korean Conflict. This is the first successful gas-turbine-mechanical locomotive, built for the Army as an experimental by Davenport.
Terminal R. R. was incorporated in 1889 to rationalize the interchange of freight and passenger trains in the St. Louis MO area. This switcher was the first engine to be built with a one-piece frame and cylinder casting. A coal burner of 247,500 pounds, it has 51" drivers. It is the only TRRA steam locomotive to have survived.
#4700 was built in 1931 as the prototype of the P-5 class electric locomotive. Originally designed for passenger service, the #4700 could attain a top speed of 95 mph. In 1939 it was re-geared to perform freight work, with a top speed of 70 mph. #2700 is 62 feet long and weighs 392,000 pounds. The locomotive operated off of 11,000 volt, single phase AC power collected from overhead wires. 64 units were built with the boxcab placing the engineer at the front of the engine which was very dangerous in the event of an accident. 28 units were later built with the cab in the center. Number 4700 is the sole surviving P-5 Pennsylvania Railroad electric engine.
General Electric Baldwin Locomotive Works Pennsylvania Railroad
Pennsylvania Railroad used GG1s like #4918 to pull passenger trains in the Washington to New York City "Northeast Corridor." Amtrak acquired the locomotive in 1971 and renumbered it #4916. #4918 weighs 477,000 pounds and is 79'6" long. 11,000-volt AC power was supplied by overhead wires through dual pantographs located at either end of the engine. A GG1 could attain a top speed of 100 mph in passenger service and 90 mph in freight service.
This 12 section/one drawing room car known as an "open section" sleeping car was the most common and more economical type of sleeping car accommodation on U.S. railroads. During the 1930s the St. Carvan was air-conditioned with the Pullman air-conditioning system which was a block of ice placed under the car with a large fan located in front of the ice. As the wheels turned, electricity was generated to turn the fan which blew air over the ice resulting in cool air inside the car.
Number 6944 is one of 47 engines built between 1969 and 1971 for the Union Pacific. This class of engine was called "Centennial" to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. This type of "double" engine was the most powerful diesel-electric locomotive model ever built on a single frame. It was actually two engines on one frame. #6944 was used to haul heavy freight over the Rocky Mountains. Number 6944 is 98'5" in length and weighs 543,432 pounds with a full load of fuel and fluids. The two engines generate 6,600 horsepower and can attain a top speed of 80-90 mph. Hear more here.
The "Silver Spoon" #192 is a stainless steel, fluted-side dining car which was to be used on the CB&Q Zephyr trains. It was assigned to operate on the "Aristocrat" between Chicago and Denver. The "Silver Spoon" was destined to be used as a spare car in the general service pool of the Zephyr fleet. The dining car is equipped with two coal-fired stoves, ice chests for refrigeration, and sealed windows. The car could seat 36 to 48 diners. Hear more here.
#2002 has an 800 hp, two-cycle diesel V-8 engine and is 44'5" in length. It weighs 230,000 pounds and has a maximum speed of 65 mph. The U.S. Army ordered 41 SW8 engines for service in Korea during the Korean Conflict. The #2002 served with the 724th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion in Korea. At the end of the war #2002 was returned to the United States and operated at the Red River (Texas) Army Depot and later at Fort Leonard Wood, MO.
#5998 is a lightweight aluminum, round-end parlor observation car originally built for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. It brought up the rear of the B&O's "Royal Blue" passenger train that provided service from Washington, D.C., to Jersey City, NJ. In the early 1940s it was operated by the GM&O where it was assigned to the "Abraham Lincoln" passenger service between Chicago, IL, and St. Louis, MO. The car is 70' in length and weighs 83,200 pounds which is 10,000 pounds less than a heavyweight car made out of steel. The car is air-conditioned and equipped with restrooms. It has 32 individual seats.
Built by the Illinois Central Railroad at its' Burnside shops in Chicago with the instruments provided by the University of Illinois (the car jointly owned). The dynamometer car is a rolling laboratory that tests the pulling power of locomotives. The front coupler is attached to the frame by a hydraulic cylinder. The pull of a locomotive moves a piston in the cylinder and measuring instruments in the car record the data. The system is so sensitive it can detect the force of a person pulling on the coupler and so strong that it tested an engine pulling a 213 car coal train. Number 30, a steel car, is 60' long, weights 125,000 pounds. Test trips on the car could last for several days, and as a result, the car contains facilities to house and feed the test crew and a dining car cook: two staterooms for four people each; lockers, toilet, shower, and kitchen. It also contains an operating compartment with recording table, instruments and tool bench. This car was last used behind a steam locomotive in 1952 and was only used once behind a diesel-electric in 1955. It was donated in 1969 by the Illinois Central Railroad and the University of Illinois.
Steam Car - Similar to an 8-cylinder internal combustion engine
Stanley Motor Carriage Co.
Stanley steam cars utilized an external combustion engine where the fuel source is consumed external to the engine. A steam boiler generates great quantities of power for later use, unlike an internal combustion engine that must develop the needed power on demand. Kerosene was used to light the pilot and main burner of the external engine as it provided more heat energy than gasoline. Kerosene was also less expensive and safer. It would take at least 20 minutes to start a Stanley Steamer. Fuel consumption was approximately one gallon of water per 10 to 12 miles.
Stanley Steamer was an alternate fuel vehicle in 1923. At the turn of the 19th century steam-powered automobiles were more prevalent than those with internal combustion engines. A steam boiler with a diameter 23" produced the steam that powered the vehicle. The boiler's nominal operating steam pressure is 600 pounds. They ran on any combustible material and water, produced large amounts of torque, were quiet and light, had few parts and did not require gears. Identical twin brothers Freelan and Francis Stanley used the money they made from developing the airbrush and selling their dry photographic plate process to Eastman Kodak to create the Stanley Motor Carriage Company. Over 11,000 Stanleys were built from 1900 to 1934 when the production was closed. The Stanley Steamer on display at TNMOT is a 740B touring car. It was built in Newton, MA and the price when new was $2,750. It was donated to the museum by Richard, Bob, and Bill Abbott.
Pierce Motorcycle Co. (Parent company was Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Co.)
The Pierce 4 was the first 4-cylinder motorcycle produced in the United States. It has a T-head, inline-4 with compression release 708cc engine with a two-speed transmission and could attain a speed of 60 mph. The frame of the Pierce has very large diameter partitioned integrated tubing for gasoline and oil.
The “City Tavern” is simply a restaurant on wheels. The car is divided into two areas, the galley where the food was prepared and the dining area known as the “pantry” where up to 40 patrons could be seated. Eleven or twelve employees would be assigned to the car: the steward in charge of the diner, 3 or 4 cooks, 2 dishwashers, and 6 waiters. Dining car employees were not allowed to accept tips. The car was modified during the 1930’s with the patented Pullman air-conditioning system.
Although owned by the CB&Q, the “DuBuque” was used in pool service on the Northern Pacific R.R.’s “North Coast Limited." This is a typical post World War II lightweight sleeper. The car consisted of 6 roomettes for 1 person, 4 rooms for 2 people, 3 rooms with double beds, and 1 large compartment.
In 1961, Ford General Manager Lee Iacocca aimed to sell a sports car with four seats, low weight, and a price tag under $2,500. In 1964, Iacocca's vision became a success with the introduction of the Ford Mustang. After selling more than 22,000 Mustangs on the first official sale date, Ford proved that it could manufacture an affordable sports car that the average American family could enjoy. It sports a 200 cubic inch, inline 6 cylinder engine; 108 inch wheelbase. Built in Dearborn, MI; price new $2,372. Donated by Carol E. William in 2001. The new car was introduced to the public on April 17, 1964 at the New York World's Fair.
This 1964 1/2 Mustang holds a coveted spot in American muscle car history, as it was the first generation of Ford Mustangs to be produced. Mustangs remain a "classic" American car to this day.
Pevely Dairy founded in the 1880s, was one of four large dairies that evolved from a group of small dairies located in St. Louis at the turn of the twentieth century. Delivery of milk was made by horse-drawn wagons. Milk was delivered in bottles with cream on top and a round piece of cardboard as a stopper. Horses were so well trained on their route that they knew when to stop for a delivery. As a publicity stunt the dairy purchased two trained zebras named Hans and Tanta from a circus and had them pull a dairy wagon. The museum has an original horse-drawn milk wagon that was originally owned by Pevely Dairy. Here is a video of a zebra-drawn milk delivery.
The Chrysler New Yorker 4 door station wagon was introduced in January 1951. Chrysler produced only a total of 251 units of this model.
The New Yorker was powered by a 331 cubic inch (5.4 liter) 180 hp Hemi V-8 engine called the “Firepower” engine. It was also equipped with power steering which was an industry first. The New Yorker also had fold down rear seats to provide more cargo space.
Statistically, the New Yorker was 213.25 inches in length, 75.125 inches in width, and had a 131.5-inch wheelbase. Its top speed was approximately 98 mph, and fuel consumption was 10.9 mpg; built in Detroit MI.
The original manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the New Yorker Wagon was $4026.00.
Donated by Celia Scudder in 1980.
Built in St. Louis by the Traffic Motor Truck Corporation, which lasted from 1918 to 1929. Their trucks were the lowest price for their impressive 4000-pound capacity. 22.5 horsepower gave it a top speed of 12 miles per hour. It features solid wheels and an early version of power steering.
Four-cylinder Continental engine; 133 inch wheelbase; price new $1,495. Originally owned by Conklin Reuling Lumber, this truck was donated to the Museum by H. A. Reuling's grandson, Tim G. Soldwedel in 1982.
The William Galloway Company of Waterloo, Iowa, had been a farm implement dealership and mail-order supplier of small farming equipment and tools before it introduced its line of trucks in 1908. The Galloway GT was marketed as a dual-purpose vehicle, "drive to church on Sunday and be put back to work on Monday." This unrestored truck features a two-cylinder, chain-driven, water-cooled engine. Research reveals it to be the oldest surviving delivery truck used in the city of St. Louis and one of fewer than ten Galloways to survive.
Engine Type: 2 cylinder
Displacement: 142 Cubic inches
Price New: $570.00
Donated to the Museum in 1972 by William Abbott.
The Buffalo-Springfield Roller Co., Springfield, Ohio
The Buffalo-Springfield Roller Co. of Springfield, Ohio, manufactured this vintage three-wheel steam roller. The company formed as a merger of the Buffalo Pitts Co. and the Kelly-Springfield Road Roller Co. (before to 1902 known as the O.S. Kelly Co.) Steam rollers of this sort were used to pave Fifth Avenue in New York City (see Buffalo-Springfield Roller Co. documentation).
Introduced in 1908, the Model T offered simplicity, reliability, and respectable performance in an affordable package. When Henry Ford added the moving assembly line to Model T production, the result was a car that not only became cheaper to buy every year but one that dominated world-wide automobile production for almost two decades. By 1922, over one million "Flivvers" were being sold annually. Its aging design led to the replacement of the Model T with the Model A for the 1928 model year. The Model T had a front mounted 177 cubic inch inline four-cylinder engine producing 20 hp for a top speed of 40-45 mph. The cost of a 1915 Model T was approximately $390 dollars.
Henry Ford’s approach to the Model T design was one of getting it right and never changing. He believed the Model T was all the car a person would ever need. However, there were design changes. For example, in 1915 the hood design retained the five-sided design but louvers were added to the vertical sides, and electric headlights replaced carbide headlights.
Specifications: 4-cylinder engine; 176.7 cubic inch displacement; 20 horsepower; 100 inch wheelbase; built in Highland Park MI; donated in 1969 by Preston Estep.
The Dorris Motor Car Company in St. Louis MO introduced its first car in 1906 and became known for advanced technology, sturdiness, and restrained elegance. This 1919 Dorris began life as a 6-80 touring car but was converted to a panel truck and used for years by the Debrecht market and grocery in St. Louis.
Six-cylinder engine; 377 cubic inch displacement; 80 horsepower; 132 inch wheelbase. Price new $5,400. Acquired by Museum in 1983 from donor Edward Walsh.
Steam Kit Car by A. L. Dyke Company. Donated in 2010 by the Means family. Richard E. Means discovered this Dyke steam-powered car unassembled in a barn in the late 1950s after his previous Stanley Steamer exploded. It was sold in kit form from 1901-1904. The challenge of putting the vehicle together without instructions became the ultimate puzzle. Mr. Means soon realized that not all the pieces were included with his rare find and he had to improvise with other parts.
Established in St.Louis MO in 1899 by A. L. Dyke (Andrew Lee Dyke), Dyke was the first American auto parts distributor. Dyke also sold early autos, kit car or assembled. In addition to the Dyke name, the company also sold automobiles under the St. Louis Motor Company and Dyke-Britton names.
Velocipede is French for "swift-footed." Handcar used in 19th and early 20th centuries.
The most common early handcar was the four-wheel handcar which weighed about 600 lbs.
In addition, there was a far lighter 125-150 pound style of handcar called a velocipede or Irish Mail which was used by some railroads. The three-wheel velocipede could carry one or two people over the rail lines to perform short errands. It could attain a speed of up to 12 mph.
The actual inventor of this style handcar is unknown, but George S. Sheffield has been generally credited with the invention in 1877. This style of handcar was manufactured until approximately 1947.
SLPS 742 is one of the Peter Witt type streetcars built for St. Louis in the 1920s by St. Louis Car Company. This view shows the back end of the single-ended car. It was rebuilt during its lifetime with different windows and foot-pedal brakes. History: United Railways #742, 1921-1927 / St. Louis Public Service #742, 1927-1953. The car has been at the National Museum of Transportation since 1953 and is stored in complete and fair condition. It has a canvas roof over a wood roof, round ends, single-ended; originally had conductor at center door to collect fares. Length 50'7," width 8'10." Wheels 8 (B-B), 140 hp, Commonwealth trucks, WH 510A (4) motor.
Car was used to repair overhead trolley wires; originally refrigerator car of United Railways, then to St. Louis Public Service Co. Home-built line car, 41' long by 7'3" wide, 4'8.5" gauge, runs on 600VDC; K12 controller with four WH 56 motors, 200 HP total; straight air brakes. United Railways in 1900; United Railways refrigerator car "Z" (1902-1913); United Railways #77 (1913-1927); St. Louis Public Service #77 (1927-1963); Bi-State Development Agency #77 (1963-1966). Donated by Bi-State Development Agency in 1966.
Fire Bug was a a car-sized fire truck. First used by the Los Angeles Fire Department, it was later driven by the zany Banana Splits characters in a TV show, "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour."
The original plan was for this creation, the Fire Bug, to be a promotional or parade rig for the Los Angeles City Fire Department during Fire Prevention Week and such, even though it lacks the departmental markings you might expect. It was a 1969 collaboration between George Barris and his partner-of-the-moment, Dick Dean. Mechanically, it's a chopped-pan VolkswagenÂ Microbus, oddly fitted with dual rear wheels.
The Yellow Truck and Coach of GM built this parlor coach as the ultimate in highway travel. The exterior appearance is that of a conventional Z-250 model passenger bus; however, this proto RV offers all the comforts of home with air conditioning, Pullman berths, a kitchen telephone, and lavatory including a shower. It was typically operated by a crew of three.
The bus designed initially used by the president of Buick Motor Division. It was later purchased by Anheuser-Busch of Saint Louis, Missouri, where it provided August A. Busch Jr. first class transportation o numerous trips across the country (1941-1946). Inline 6-cylinder, 616 cid, 150 hp., wheelbase: 250," built in Pontiac MI, acquired by Museum in 1969.
St. Louis based Hogan Racing raced this CART-series car in 1998 which features a fiber, Kevlar reinforced body. In its racing condition, a Mercedes-Benz engine powered the 1,525 pound car at speeds of over 200 miles per hour. Hogan Racing fielded several future superstar drivers, including future Indy 500 winner Helio Castroneves, who raced this car and for whom this car is lettered. The Reynard showcases Hogan's St. Louis heritage by featuring the logos of the St. Louis Cardinals, Blues, and former Rams. It was used as a show and exhibit car following its retirement from racing. Engine Type: V8; displacement: 161.5 CI; 850 hp; wheelbase: 119.5 inches
The CoBra was under continuous development and was a good 60,000+ mile engine (if properly maintained) when it was abandoned for cast iron. CoBra engines fall into two groups. The early engines had straight cut tower shaft gears and a painted block (switch to spiral cut gear came before galvanized block). The later engines had a spiral cut tower gear and a galvanized coated block.
The early CoBra engines had straight cut gears on the tower shaft/cam. Later engines went to the spiral cut gears to quiet down the valve train a little. Because of the thin sheet metal construction the noise level of a tin engine is still high, almost sounding like a diesel.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder, Crosley CoBra (COpper BRAzed)
Divco was a brand name of delivery trucks built and marketed in the United States. Divco is an acronym which stands for Detroit Industrial Vehicles Company.
Built in 1963, this model may be driven standing or sitting. When standing, the throttle and brake were mounted on the steering column. This model has a Ford engine. It was used by Bailey Dairy until the early 1980s.
Divco was known for its multi-stop delivery trucks, particularly in use as home delivery vehicles by dairy producers. Hear more here.
This Autocar truck was donated to the Museum in 1961, three years after it went out of service. At that time the president of Maplewood Planing Mill Co., Alan C. Blood, said that when his father purchased the truck for the company in 1925. He partially paid for it "by trading in a team of horses, a wagon, and a half carload of hay." In its thirty-three years of service this truck hauled countless thousands of board feet of lumber from the Missouri Pacific's Greenwood Boulevard tracks to the Maplewood Mill at 2731 Sutton Boulevard, Maplewood MO, about a half-mile away. It has a three-ton capacity.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder
Displacement: 276 cubic inches
Price New: $3,550.00
Built in: Ardmore PA
The Autocar Company is an American specialist manufacturer of severe-duty, Class 7 and Class 8 vocational trucks started in 1897 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as a manufacturer of Brass Era automobiles, and trucks from 1899, Autocar is the oldest surviving motor vehicle brand in the Western Hemisphere.
Donated to Museum in 1961 by Maplewood Planing Mill Company.
This is believed to be the first truck used to haul mail in the State of Alabama. The Chase Motor Truck Company was founded in 1907, and its three-cylinder engine was used beginning in 1910. The truck has a three-cylinder, two-stroke, air-co0led, 20 horsepower engine, is chain-driven, and has a load capacity of 1,500 pounds. Price new $900; built in Syracuse NY. Museum acquired the truck in 1972 from donor Robert W. Abbott.
This Chicago truck was an "assembled" vehicle that was created using components from various suppliers; it was a common practice, with dozens of brands manufacturing trucks in the United States. The Chicago truck company was founded in 1906 for the sale and maintenance of trucks and built its first vehicle in 1919. The firm was out of business by 1932. Featuring a four-cylinder Hercules engine with a chain drive, and solid tires, this truck was used for many years by the donor for transporting fuel tanks.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder Hercules
Displacement: 251 Cubic inches
Price New: $2,290.00
Built in: Chicago IL
Donated to Museum Of Transportation in 1964 by Standard Oil Company of Indiana.
The Model TT was a one-ton truck that derived from a Model T car chassis; it utilized a stronger frame, heavier rear axle, and the addition of two rear springs. The truck debuted in 1917 selling for $600.00. Ford only sold the engine and the chassis leaving it up to the buyer to either custom complete the truck cab and body themselves or pay a coach builder to finish it for them. By the 1920's Ford added the option of a cab, which cost another $45-$65.
The versatility of the TT made it useful to farmers and merchants; as fire trucks, dump trucks, and passenger vehicles. By 1928, 1.3 million Ford Model TTs had been sold.
This truck arrived at the museum in 1997 in several crates. A team of dedicated volunteers re-assembled and restored it.
Engine Type: 4 cylinder
Displacement: 176.7 cubic inches
Price New: $550.00
Built in: Detroit MI
Donated to the Museum in 1997 by William Englebrecht.
Although farm equipment was at the heart of the International Harvester's business, it also included a highly competitive truck line established in 1907. With growing competition in the farm machinery industry, the company launched a national ad campaign in 1954 called, "The International Truck Caravan." The caravan showcased the truck line and toured the country stopping at at local dealerships. International Harvester built light-duty trucks until 1975. The company's truck division was sold to Navistar International Corporation in 1986.
Engine Type: 6 cylinder
Displacement: 220.5 Cubic inches
Price New: $1,484.00
Built in: Canto IL
Donated to the Museum in 1988 by William and Irene Blackwell.
This Elgin Model D street sweeper was the company's first machine designed specifically for automobile traffic. The brushes concentrated on the curbs instead of the center of the street waste removal typical for horse-drawn traffic. This 1929 street sweeper is believed to be the oldest street sweeper in America
1925 Dodge Brothers 2-Door Coach – 5P Police Car Replication
2-Door Coach - 5P
Although the St. Louis County Police Department was not established until July 1, 1955, this 1925 Dodge Brothers 2-door coach was restored and painted to replicate a police car of the 1920s. This car served as a public relations attraction and was displayed at many community events before it was donated to the Museum in 2004. Engine type: L-head 4 cylinder; displacement: 212.3 cubic inches; horsepower :24.03; wheelbase: 116 inches; donor: Charles and June Gallagher.
Service cars operated in the same manner as buses and streetcars as they had regular routes with regular stops. Cab drivers and bus companies loathed these cars as they were cheaper to ride and stole potential customers.
By the 1960s, most service car companies had shut and survivors operated limited routes in north St. Louis. The Consolidated Service Car Co. was the last to offer rides and was eventually bought by Bi-State in 1962. However, most drivers owned their cars and continued their service. With the support of the Committee of Racial Equality (CORE), they charged no fare but accepted 'donations' as 'freedom riders.' Bi-State added more routes to compete with the unlicensed service cars but the African American residents boycotted the buses in these areas. The dispute was settled in 1966.
This is the last running and remaining service car. Engine type: 6-cyl. L-Head; Displacement: 230 cubic inches; Horsepower: 103; Built in: San Leandro CA; Donors: Herman Perkins, Anthony Sansone, Consolidated Service Car Co.; Acquired by Museum in 1967.
Physicians used buggies of this type to make house calls to their patients often bartering for their services. The Banner Buggy Co. was one of the largest horse-drawn vehicle manufacturers in the country.
The Cushman Eagle was an attempt to copy real motorcycle design and it was by far Cushman’s most successful model. The 318CC 8 horsepower motor delivered top speed of nearly 50 MPH. The chrome models are unique because they were made almost exclusively for Shriners to ride in parades and other special events.
This scooter was donated in 1987 by the Daniel Hartnett Family.
Buick built trucks for a very short time. One body style available was the “Old English Motor Bus." It is believed that this is one of the only surviving models of this type. Typically, they were used by hotels as a courtesy vehicle or for sightseeing. The twelve passenger bus has a 2 cylinder 22 horse power engine located under the front seat and it is chain-driven. Donated in 1973 by William S. Abbott, this rare antique was restored to operating condition in 1995 through the generosity of the Buick Automobile Dealers of St. Louis.
In the mid-1950s, advancements in helicopter technology made a vehicle like this
possible. At the end of the Korean War, the U.S. Navy was looking for a small
sized helicopter that could be dropped to downed pilots stranded behind enemy
lines. Gyrodyne Company of America was awarded the contract and built
prototypes to demonstrate their new invention. Three different engines were
experimented with over the next few years and this model is equipped with a
Porsche 4-cylinder internal combustion engine. Demand by the Navy soon
switched to radio-controlled pilotless drones and in 1964 all XRON Rotorcycle
work ceased. Allan Barklage donated this Rotorcycle to the museum in 1984.
Number built 10
Max Speed 78 mph
Cruise Speed 60 mph
This portable gasoline caddy from the 1920s allowed vendors to sell and pump gasoline at the curbside. A hand-cranked rotary pump was used to dispense fuel into a customer's vehicle. This gas caddy was donated to the Museum by Standard Oil in 1971.
St. Louis-based Dynacycle invented manufactured bike kits and motorbikes. A gasoline motor could be attached to any balloon-tired bicycle in place of the crank and peddles and then mounted to the frame. The company claimed to have the smoothest ride of all bike motors on the market due to its Dynamount suspension system, which included rubber rings in the crank housing. The four horsepower engine delivered speeds of up to 45 miles per hour.
This bike has a custom-built side cart. It was used by a local grocery store to deliver goods to its customers. Approximately 200 bikes and kits were sold and it is believed only about 30 are still in existence.
The St. Louis Police Department used this three-wheeled custom-built motorcycle in its traffic division. It is powered by a Honda CX500 twin cylinder, water-cooled, shaft drive engine. This police trike can reach speeds up to 80 miles per hour.
Cadillac Fleetwood Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan and Coral Court Motel
Cadillac Fleetwood Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan
In the Earl C. Lindburg Automobile Center is located a display unit of the ultra modern Coral Court Motel. This unit of the famous motel was saved from the wrecker's ball for our museum. The motel was built in 1941 one mile west of the city limits on Route 66. Coral Court epitomized speed, streamlining and the ideals of highway travel. The architectural gem was set among tree-lined streets and featured a swimming pool. Its end came in 1993 when it was condemned. Hear more here.
Parked out in front of the display unit in the attached photo is a General Motors' 1941 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan. This car was widely recognized as the pinnacle of Cadillac car design. This car features the massive horizontal grille shared by all the 1941 Cadillac models, exaggerated front fenders, and a long coffin-nose hood. Under this elegant new shape is General Motors' revolutionary Hydra-Matic automatic transmission. Cadillac set a division sales record of 66,130 cars that year, including 4,100 Series 60 Specials.
Specifications: V8 engine; displacement 346 cubic inches; 150 horsepower; 126 inch wheelbase; price new of $2,195; donated by Lindburg Cadillac in 1967.
While most early American automobiles were open or convertible types, such as this touring model, dirt roads and poor conditions made winter driving unpleasant if not impossible. In 1910 Cadillac begin shifting it model lineup toward closed or solid-roofed vehicles. That, combined with its reputation for quality and value, led to demand surpassing factory production. This 1910 model was a long-time fixture in the showroom of the St. Louis-area Lindburg Cadillac dealerships.
Texas and Pacific Railroad #1603 (No. 23) “Train of Thought”
Combination baggage and passenger car.
#1603 was built by Pullman Company as an all steel combination baggage and passenger car. It operated on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The first conversion to the car occurred in October of 1951 by the T & P in their Marshall shops. The car was converted from a passenger/baggage car to an instruction car, T&P Instruction Car No. 23. At this time the majority of the windows were removed. The car was purchased from the Missouri Pacific Railroad in May of 1962 and the second conversion was done in June 1962 by the St. Louis Car Company making the Monsanto Universal Training Car. The car operated from 1963-1966 and was stored at Soda Springs, Idaho, before being moved to St. Louis Union Station on July 2, 1971. It was donated to the Museum in June, 1971.
This unique car has been restored and remodeled to provide a facility for additional programs at the Museum. Like the Creation Station, an additional Education Center is now available. The Train of Thought is now open for facilitated field trips.
In 1948, the Transport Museum Association (TMA) incorporated as a non-profit educational organization for the purpose of working on the needs of a museum. The land for the museum was acquired at Barrett Station in St. Louis County along the right-of-way of the historic Missouri Pacific Railroad. Included was this historic depot. The original MOPAC single-track with two tunnels were a bottleneck to the double track railroad. The line was moved about 1,000 yards to bypass the tunnels. When the line was relocated in 1944, the area to the left (south) of the track was filled in using rocks and soil removed as the tunnel was replaced by an open cut through the ridge. The depot, although it was moved and is in an area not open to visitors, remains on museum ground and track side of the now Union Pacific Railroad. The current use of the building is a wood working shop and storage area.
The M0PAC Eagle Parlor-Observation car #750 was built by American Car & Foundry as a lightweight aluminum body lounge. The car was part of the first Eagle passenger train and is one of two in the world. One of its claims to fame was its use by Harry S. Truman when he was Senator, Vice President and as retired President. The MoPac's fleet became known as Eagles and have their beginnings thanks to the railroad's first such train known simply as the Eagle. Number 750 was part of the Missouri River Eagle, which served St. Louis, Kansas City, and Omaha. This Eagle train was inaugurated March 10, 1940 between St. Louis and Omaha.
The MoPAC railroad was the first to be built west of the Mississippi River and would eventually come under the Jay Gould Empire, who owned scores of railroads in the 19th century. The railroad is also well remembered for its beautiful paint scheme of blue and gray with an eagle adorning the flanks of locomotives.
Restoration began June of 2008 and completed with a ribbon-cutting in 2010. To help with the cost of restoration the Museum and the St. Louis NRHS chapter applied for and received a $3,800 grant from The National Railway Historical Society. Hear more here.
Built by Austin-Western Company, this gasoline-powered road roller shows the transition from the earlier steam-powered roller design to internal combustion power. This equipment was used to compress the soil and crushed rock to form a solid roadbed.
Donated to TNMOT in 1981 by Maplewood Construction Company
Grader was used in and donated by Tower Grove Park, which is a municipal park in the city of St. Louis, Missouri.
Most of Tower Grove Park land was donated to the city by Henry Shaw in 1868. It is on 289 acres adjacent to the Missouri Botanical Garden, another of Shaw's legacies. It extends 1.6 miles from west to east, between Kingshighway Boulevard and Grand Boulevard. It is bordered on the north by Magnolia Avenue and on the south by Arsenal Street.
Donated October 4, 2018, to TNMOT
Western Wheeled Scraper
Willys, Bowen Mc Laughlin York, Baifield Industries, Brunswick
4x4 Utility Platform Truck
The U.S. Military M274 Truck, Platform, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4 or "Carrier, Light Weapons, Infantry, 1/2 ton, 4x4," also known as the "Mule," "Military Mule", or "Mechanical Mule," is a 4-wheel drive, gasoline-powered truck/tractor type vehicle that can carry up to 1/2 ton off-road. There were 11,240 Mules produced between 1956-1970, when production ceased. They were used throughout as platforms for various weapons systems and for carrying men, supplies, and weaponry/ammunition during the Vietnam War and in other U.S. military operations until the 1980s.
The M274 Mules were often outfitted with a wide array of weaponry, especially in the Vietnam War. They could be modified to carry virtually any type of conventional weapon that could be mounted on a truck. All Mules had three-speed manual, non-synchromesh transmissions with two-speed transfer cases, and were four-wheel drive vehicles. The lower speeds and high power (17 hp) of the Mule made it a versatile off-road vehicle. It could climb over logs, go up steep slopes, and cross rivers in first gear.
A troop sleeper was a railroad passenger car which had been constructed to serve as something of a mobile barracks (essentially, a sleeping car) for transporting troops over distances sufficient to require overnight accommodations. This method allowed part of the trip to be made overnight, reducing the amount of transit time required and increasing travel efficiency.
Between December 1941 and June 1945 U.S. railroad carried almost 44 million armed services personnel. As there were not enough cars and coaches available to meet the massive need for troop transit created by World War II, in late 1943 the U.S. Office of Defense Transportation contracted with the Pullman Company to build 2,400 troop sleepers.
#71 St. Louis – Southwestern Cotton Belt Mail Express Car
American Car & Foundry
Mail Express Car
American Car and Foundry built this 60' long mail/express car for about $8,000. It weighs 80,000 pounds, has a wooden body and its underframe is also wood with a steel center sill. The truss rods visible along the sides below the floor are bolted through the end sills and strengthen the underframe. The turnbuckles that join the two ends of each rod at the center of the car can be adjusted to keep the car's body straight and level. The railway post office markings show that the separate 15' long mail "apartment," as the post office called it, met the standards for handling U.S. mail. The mail catcher arm on its door could pick up sacks of first class mail at speeds of up to 80 miles per hour. Donated by the St. Louis - Southwestern Ry in 1952.
Coach # 10 was converted from caboose #127, built by the M-K-T in 1891, to be a replica of the original car. Before conversion it was used as a branch line caboose, prisoner car, and on work trains. Its inside length is 29' 4" and it has pedestal type trucks.
Budd Stainless Steel
ex-Artrain #103, AMTK 2836, ex-Penn Central 4618, nee-Pennsylvania RR 4618 (half of a twin-diner)
Amtrak 2836 Missouri Valley, PC 4276, NYC 10136
Budd 10 Rmt - 6 DBR
Mid Am Rail Leasing as MRLX 801103
As the rail industry restricted access to its railways, Artrain retired and sold its museum-on-a-train in 2008.
St. Louis - San Francisco #251 "Normandy" - Baggage-Mail, Pullman-Standard 1947. Combination baggage, 30 ft (9.1 m) mail. This car ran on the Meteor, a named passenger train operated by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (a.k.a. SLSF or "the Frisco"). It ran overnight between Oklahoma City and St. Louis via Tulsa and was later extended to Lawton, Oklahoma on July 18, 1955.
This Ford Model AA Dump Truck is a 4-cylinder in-line L engine with 40 hp. The model AA truck version used the same body and engine with many of the same interior parts as the new model A automobile, the latter of which was a dramatic improvement over its predecessor, the Model T. The truck was built in Detroit, Michigan, with a price new of between $500 and $600.
Displacement 200.5 cubic inches; 131.5 inch wheelbase; built in Detroit MI; donated by Contractors Roofing Supply, O'Fallon MO in 1995.
The 1937 Chevrolet Master Deluxe models had dashboard heat indicators, a front passenger armrest, dual tail lamps,, double windshield wipers, twin sun visors, and fancy bumpers with guards. The 1937 models featured an enlarged trunk in order to fit a spare tire. Coveted for its "gliding knee-action ride," the Master De Luxe contained springs to absorb shocks, allowing the car to ride smoothly on the roads.
Specifications: 6-cylinder engine; manual transmission; wheelbase 112.25 inches; four wheel hydraulic brakes; price new: $765; donated to the Museum in 1995 by Glenn Hensley and Mary Beranek.
This 1917 Chevrolet series 490 touring car was introduced to compete with the Ford Model T and was produced
between 1915 and 1922. The 1917 Chevrolet 490 model saw the addition of a left front door, standardized electric lamps, and sliding windows. Cloth upholstery rather than leather or vinyl was a features. All automobiles were finished in black. Priced new, it was $490, and if one wanted an electric lighting and starting system, it would cost an additional $60. Weight: 1,890 pounds; wheelbase: 108 inches. This vehicle was donated to the Museum in 1984 by Mr. Edward J. Walsh, Jr.
Chevrolet Corvettes with their unusual fiberglass bodies were introduced in 1953 as an economical sports car. This V-8 250 hp engine cost $1.212.00 new in 1965. Corvettes were built in St. Louis from 1954 to 1981.
Pullman built the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad “Aleutian” heavyweight office car in 1923. That railroad’s vice president and general manager of the eastern lines used the car in 1940. Tagged the “office car,” railroad officials used cars like the Aleutian to entertain customers and guests of the company, usually shippers, bankers, or politicians. Wealthy families also owned private cars for travel in privacy and comfort, just as they use private jets today.
Fun fact: HBO’s Emmy award-winning film “Truman,” shot in spring 1995, featured the Aleutian car as a stand-in for the Ferdinand Magellan car. We have a star on our museum grounds!
Featuring “all the comforts of home,” the car contains:
An observation lounge with open rear platform,
Dining room likely with fine china–Spode Copeland’s china from England was sometimes used in private cars,
Two bathrooms and two showers, and
Crew’s quarters for the cook and porter.
In 1952, Burlington rebuilt and modernized the car, installing air conditioning, self-contained electrical and hot water systems, and roller bearings, giving it a rebuilt weight of over 102 tons.
The National Museum of Transportation received the car in 1970.
Also known as #7147, this Pullman passenger coach was built 1929, generator added to 7200, as CB&Q 7200.
Chicago, Indianapolis, and Louisville Railway #90
Chicago, Indianapolis, and Louisville Railway
Chicago, Indianapolis, and Louisville Railway #90 - (Monon Railroad, a/k/a "The Hoosier Line) Business car built by CI&L at Lafayette IN shops 1916, retired 1948. The Monon Railroad was the first class "A" railroad to become fully dieselized.
Stylish and well-appointed, the 1923 6-58 Sport Touring Moon is an example of Moon's predilection for over soliciting orders (15,000) and under delivery (6,000) which led to Moon's downfall by 1930. At least 12 different bodies were offered on two chassis during the 1923 model year.
Specifications: High quality Continental 8R engine and Timken axles; displacement 171 cubic inches; 58 horsepower; 128 inch wheelbase; price new $2,095; built in St. Louis MO; acquired by Museum in 2006. Hear more here.
The electric Comuta-Car was useful for short commuter trips due to its limited range before it required to be recharged. 6 horsepower GE motor; top speed 40 mph; range before recharging: 40 miles; original base price: $3,995; weight 1,400 pounds; manufacturing headquarters: Sebring FL.
The electric Bradley GT II was designed by John Chun, a former employee of Shelby American who also penned the lines of the classic 1960s Shelby Mustangs. 20.7 horsepower GE Tracer I motor; top speed: 75 mph in boost mode, 55 mph in cruise mode; range before recharging: 100 miles city, 70 miles highway; original base price $28,000; weight 2900 pounds; manufacturing headquarters; Plymouth MN; total number built: 50.
The first Hupmobile, the Model 20 Runabout, was introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in February of 1909 with much fanfare and went into production a month later. This economical automobile was offered to the public at $750.00 F.O.B. and was considered a bargain with its two-speed sliding gear transmission and Bosch high tension magneto ignition system often reserved for pricier model cars. A folding top, trunk rack, glass windshield, and gas headlamps were premium extras. 5,340 Model 20 Runabouts were manufactured in 1910 and they continued to be produced through 1913.
Engine type: L-Head 4 cylinder; 18/20 horsepower; Wheelbase in inches: 86; Built in: Detroit MI; Donated By: Red LaMore Auto Body, Webster Groves MO
This produce peddler's truck was owned and operated by Dominic "Micky" Licavoli in St. Louis MO. It is a combination of a 1937 Chevrolet truck chassis and a 1920s era custom-built wood coach. Peddling wares was very common in the city up until the 1950s when large supermarkets became the preferred choice of shopping. The drivers had regular routes and knew their customers' needs. Often, trucks were equipped with a bell or whistle to announce their arrival, in addition to yelling very loudly.
Edward Linhart donated this truck to the Museum in 1960. Museum volunteers completed their meticulous restoration of the truck to running order in 2018. Hear more here.
Ford's Model N automobile mad great strides toward Henry Ford's dream of producing an affordable, mass-produced vehicle. The lightweight Model N contained a 4-cylinder engine and was capable of being driven 45 miles per hour. It contained stylish fixtures, including the nickel-plated front lamps and an 84-inch wheelbase.
At the time of production, the 1906 4-cylinder Ford Model N sold for only $500, which was less than one-cylinder automobiles sold by Cadillac, Reo, Rambler and Oldsmobile. Ford's reputation for safety and reliability, in addition to the features of the Model N, made this car the predecessor to the later, and much more famous, Model T.
Specifications: 15 horsepower; acquired by Museum in 1977; donated by William T. Dooley, Jr.
Industrial designer Raymond Loewy created the distinctive look of many Studebaker models from the late 1930s into the 1960s. The bullet-nose front and the wrap-around rear window are hallmarks of this Studebaker design. The economical but innovative and safe Studebakers offered a Hill Holder feature, power antenna, and child-proof rear door locks as options. Despite its 1954 merger with Packard, Studebaker closed its doors in South Bend IN in 1964, ending 112 years of first wagon and then automobile and truck production.
Specifications of the Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe: V-8 engine; displacement 232.6 cubic inches; 120 horsepower; 115 inch wheelbase; price new $1,933; built in South Bend IN; donated by Robert and Shirley Wilson in 1996.
The Chevy Bel Air Hardtop had ample interior size; it six passengers comfortably plus it had fuel efficiency. 137,672 of the four-door hardtop sedans were manufactured compared to only 47,562 of the two-door convertible models.
Specifications: V-8 engine; 115 inch wheelbase; displacement 265 cubic inches; 283 horsepower; price new $2,365; weight 3,323 pounds; donated by Willard McHugh in 2011.
Brothers Joseph and John Moon came to St. Louis in 1882 and formed the Moon Brothers Carriage Company. The company manufactured carriages, wagons, carts and buggies at low prices and with a wide range of available features. For around one hundred dollars, base model carriages could be purchased, and for several hundred dollars more, options included room for four and collapsible tops.
Well-known for its wholesale prices, the Moon Brothers Carriage Company became the largest of its type in St. Louis and a member of the National Carriage Manufacturing Association. In 1905, to keep up with the emerging industry, Joseph Moon began manufacturing automobiles. The Moon Brothers Car remained in St. Louis and manufactured cars until the early 1930s, when the company went out of business during the Great Depression. Hear more here.
An "opera coupe" could seat four people, but the front passenger seat was collapsible, allowing for easy access to the two-person rear seat. The height of the opera coupes also allowed for the wearing of top hats. The original owner of this car was probably wealthy enough to have a chauffeur.
Specifications: 6-cylinder engine; 128 inch wheelbase; 38.4 horsepower; price new $3,250; built in St. Louis MO; acquired 2009.
The penny-farthing was the first machine to be called a "bicycle." The name came from the British penny and farthing coins, the former being much larger than the latter, so that the side view resembles a larger penny leading a smaller farthing.
Popular in the 1870s and 1880s, it was also called a high wheel or ordinary. The front wheel provided higher speeds since it traveled a large distance for every rotation of the legs and more comfort with greater shock absorption.
It became obsolete from the late 1880s with the development of modern bicycles, a/k/a "safety bicycles," which provided similar speed amplification via chain-driven gear trains and comfort through pneumatic tires.
A speeder (also known as railway motor car, putt-putt, track-maintenance car, crew car, jigger, trike, quad, trolley, inspection car) is a maintenance of way motorized vehicle formerly used on railroads by track inspectors and work crews to move quickly to and from work sites. Although it is slow compared to a train or car, it is called a speeder because it is faster than a human-powered vehicle such as a handcar.
A handcar is a railroad car powered by its passengers, or by people pushing the car from behind. It is mostly used as a maintenance of way or mining car. This particular handcar was used on the Mississippi Rive & Bonne Terre Railway.
ITAX #54. Budd self-propelled Rail Diesel Car (RDC-1) built in 1954 has two Detroit diesel engines (275 h.p. each) with a top speed of 85mph. The Budd Rail Diesel Car, RDC, or Buddliner, is a self-propelled diesel multiple unit (DMU); the cars to operate singly, or in multiple.
Making use of a streamlined Raymond Lowey body design, this GG-1 class, 2-C+C-2 electric locomotive has 7,500 HP and a top speed of 100 mph. It was used in both passenger and freight service in the Northeast Corridor until 1986, renumbered as Amtrak #4916.
The GG1 was 79 feet 6 inches (24.23 m) long and weighed 475,000 pounds.The locomotive's frame was in two halves joined with a ball and socket joint, allowing the locomotive to negotiate sharper curves. The body rested on the frame and was clad in welded steel plates. The control cabs were near the center of the locomotive on each side of the main oil-cooled transformer and oil-fired train-heating boiler. This arrangement provided for greater crew safety in a collision and provided for bi-directional operation of the locomotive. Using Whyte notation for steam locomotives, each frame is a 4-6-0 locomotive, which in the Pennsylvania Railroad classification system is a "G". The GG1 has two such frames back to back, 4-6-0+0-6-4. The related AAR wheel arrangement classification is 2-C+C-2. This means one frame mounted upon a set of two axles unpowered (the "2") and three axles powered (the "C") hinged with the ball and socket to another frame of the same design (the +). The unpowered "2" axles are at either end of the locomotive.
Italian State Railways Ferrovie Dello Stato (European Electric Engine)
Westinghouse Italian subsidiary
Built around 1910 by an Italian subsidiary of Westinghouse, this freight locomotive operated off a three-phase, 2,000-volt A.C. electrical system and developed 2,000 horsepower from its two motors. It had a top speed of 31 mph. The engine arrived at TNMOT in 1968.
Join Our Email List
Want information about special events? Interested in learning more
about what is going on at The National Museum of Transportation?
September 1 – Thanksgiving
Wednesday-Sunday: 9 am – 4 pm
Closed Thanksgiving Day
The Orthwein Visitor Center will close at 3 pm on Saturday, September 24th, for a private event.